What is going on today? - Megathread

I think we forget as well that a job is just a job. Except for maybe artists or a few people here and there a job is just a means to make money. No one remembers your job when you’re dead, and your job counts for nothing when you’re dead.

It is for basically everyone on earth, a means to an end and to fund things you actually enjoy and get meaning from.

1 Like

:laughing: So you wouldn’t be carrying on working after the big lottery win then ?

1 Like

And no-one is indispensable @sdebar if your employer wanted/needed to get rid of you im sure they wouldn’t have any qualms about doing so.

I’d probably quit my job and work on some other projects

1 Like

I’m not even going to reply any more because you’re just assuming things.

Who said I haven’t had a salary increase? Who said I don’t have career progression? Who said I don’t have ambition?

I’m not asking for much. I literally just want to buy a small, one bed flat just to get me on the ladder but attitudes towards rent and therefore affordability need to change. Plus inflation/interest rates aren’t helping.

Which won’t happen, so we need a huge crash instead.

6 Likes

I know we’re all aware of this, but at times it does need a reminder - there is no UK property market; there are a multitude of localised, highly variable markets. This makes talk of average property prices - and average wages - a bit of a nonsense. I keep seeing ‘9xsalary’ etc, yet local to me I can get a two bed terrace for £85k - I have apprentices who are buying their first home at 20 and they can still afford Netflix.
I bought my home in 2000. My salary was around ÂŁ10k and my house was ÂŁ40k. My salary is now ÂŁ35k, and my house is around ÂŁ150k. Again, salary to house price ratios here are fairly static. Unfortunately, the media is very London centric, with a strong southern bias. If you want more bang for your buck, head up north.

5 Likes

No one
 im talking generally from what ive seen from others in the past. but if you have all these things over 17 years you should have the money by now. unless you’re in london, but even then you get get on 70k+ a year in a few years in london, but london is its own thing and basically none of the same ideas apply. whole different world

This is true. I always suggest people move away from London before they’re trapped. the UK is an absolutely tiny country, you can live anywhere and travel to anywhere in the UK without issue so long as you get out of places like London before you’re burdened by obligations

Moving up north, you’ll always get more for your money. I live in the north of England and have a 3 bed detached worth around £400k but to get the equivalent in London or home counties I’d probably be looking around £650,000-£700,000, maybe more.

PPI (Producer Price Index) number is trending down. It’s a leading indicator of where inflation could be heading in the coming months.

1 Like

While it’s important to get work/life balance etc, the reality is that you can’t wait for economy or the government to do you any favours if you want to buy property, you have to make the change yourself.

You love your job but it aint paying you enough for a house deposit!

The same job in the same industry but for a different company might pay more so always worth considering.

2 Likes

@ConsulinhoGaucho it’s the weekend, can we have our reading please? :rofl:

I think you got it right in your previous post regarding the BS!

Politicians are not allowed to call each other liars in the Houses of Parliament. Why? Maybe it is because politicians have to say what they need to say to get the outcome they require, and this is not always the truth!

I am seeing an austerity government trying to temporarily fix all the things they have destroyed through their policies just before an election. Maybe they want the homeowners to vote for them too?

Trouble is there’s a year and half before the next election.

1 Like

They do if you are absolutely passionate and doing the job you love and you excel at it. When this happens your job does not feel like a job, you get paid well (eventually) and you are remembered for the legacy that you leave behind.

Some examples might be Warren Buffett, Sir Richard Branson, Alexander Graham Bell, Tesla

there are many that remain in our consciousness and many who are get to leave us physically but to leave a lasting mark.

It’s not for everybody, but it could be. It is incredibly hard work and you need a certain mind set that remains primarily focussed on the potential benefits of what you are doing - but generally speaking, it will not happen by working in a normal ‘job’. It might though, if you are driven enough.

Expecting the system to change around me to suit my needs, while doing nothing, is a fools game. There is hard work afoot and much pain before I will see the fruits of my work. I’ll also be 50 but I didn’t realise what my calling was until later in life.

Defaulted on the obligation :rofl:
Will be back next week!

1 Like

It’ll take that just to fill the potholes!

I have just been told that the local PCSOs are suddenly more active in my area. It will take a year and half for most people to trust that the police are actually going to respond to crime.

What they will do in an attempt to get NHS workers’ votes is anyone’s guess! Maybe they will just leave that one alone.

I watch in eager anticipation of improvements - particularly in adult social care provision which is absolutely dire at present.

We all need a break some time :rofl::+1:

I did mention the exception in my post. But you’ve picked the 0.00001% of people. That’s not the rule, that’s the exception

1 Like

The lasting mark Branson left on me is that of a tax exile extraordinare, whilst continually grifting UK taxpayers to bail out his latest harebrained scheme :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

Seriously?
Unlimited text
Unlimited phone calls
5 wiga woga bites of data.
Some foreign phone calls free.
(Free roaming (with limits) in 37 countries)
99p a month first 6 months
ÂŁ5.90 next 6 months.
Over 12 months works out ÂŁ3.40
Not contract leave when you want (one month sim)
Lebara (Vodafone)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheap-mobile-finder/sim-only/

You need to put some effort in if you want save money.