What is going on today? - Megathread

Suicide drop is about right! What the hell happened at 14:30 today? :thinking: My portfolio dropped like a stone!

@RichardPrice they recon it was some computer micro flash crash
 Whatever one of them happens to be :person_shrugging::joy:

Me @ this yo-yo market these past couple of months:

1 Like

money-brr-reverse-small

5 Likes

I WISH FT wouldn’t post tonnes of new stock threads only to find out that they are not on the service :man_facepalming: Completely the wrong way around to do business and wastes customers time. Surely the best time to post new threads are when they are live or at least put a disclaimer.

2 Likes

Agreed. If they need to do them in advance, they should post them under a hidden category, then change them to a public one (i.e Stock Discussions) once they’re live on the app.

2 Likes

It just looks lazy and unorganised :+1: They should only add when they are on the platform and really they should verify each post by doing a search first to make sure they are posting correctly. It is like posting results before an event or advertising a product before it is in stock at the shop.

Customers want to see the thread and then click on the app to see what the price and history etc are but just get a disappointed nothing. :man_facepalming:

Edit - it is great they are adding so many but just slack the final delivery is below par.

1 Like

Ha, @Big-g, I don’t think it helps that we’re always refreshing the forum too :joy:

2 Likes

As a general moan, not looking for any critique, just letting off some steam
 but my small collection of ETFs have been down for months on end. I’m losing faith in ETF investing on the back of it.

I bought into sectors I either worked in or researched, cyber security, cloud computing, and the bete noire INRG
and am now the proud owner of several bags :rofl:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: Know the feeling but things are a bit strange out there with the whole lockdown stuff and investors appearing out of nowhere in last year or so. Will be interesting to see where it all goes in 12 months or so.

4 Likes

Aye its a case of forgetting about it, worry about it again in 12 months if the situation hasnt improved.

2 Likes

I feel I need to defend ‘ETF investing’! You didn’t say how many months you’ve been suffering losses, but based on what you wrote, I suspect your problem is not actually caused by ETFs, but by being concentrated too much in the information technology and alternative energy sectors. That’s understandable if they are sectors that you know well, but when there is a broad market trend that affects the whole sector, no matter how good your knowledge is, you won’t be able to swim against the tide.

Take heart in knowing that it’s not your fault for bad selection of funds or stocks! Technology has done brilliantly over the past 12 or 13 months, but not so well more recently, so if you’re thinking of the past few months, that’s probably what happened – the whole sector was against you.

Right now, tech is down and mining is up (rock mining, I mean, not crypto mining :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). The pendulum will swing back the other way at some point. The problem is, nobody can reliably predict exactly when that will be!

One way to protect yourself a bit against these kinds of broad trends is to balance your strategic sector picks with a broad total stock market ETF (something like VWRL, for example). When you have one of those, it doesn’t matter so much if you don’t get the timing exactly right when choosing a sector to invest in, because if one sector is down, another will usually be up, and if you own the whole market then you own them both.

4 Likes

Markets are totally unpredictable atm. US and UK. Despite companies doing well stock price tanking across multiple sectors. Case of forget and review in a couple of months or more

2 Likes

Thanks
 Just having a whinge today :laughing: Zooming out and all that.

5 Likes

This is the S&P 500 YTD

seriously, there is nothing wrong with the market!

FTSE 100 is a bit more rocky, but still near the high for the year, although not at an all time high like the S&P

8 Likes

I suspect the problem here is most people (including me when I first started years ago) go for high risk stocks first to try and make a quick buck.

Now I prioritise the more boring big blue chip companies that have been around forever. They keep slowly but steadily plodding upwards, many of them while paying dividends. Meanwhile the High growth stuff sometimes fails to grow.

9 Likes

I’m more worried about the USD. It’s up another 1% today, after already rising a lot last week. On one hand, if it goes back down buying US stocks now will be good value, on the other hand if it doesn’t, there will probably be significant ripples in UK prices too if exports drop as a result.

2 Likes

Which ones beside INRG?

I think all my ETFs are up at the moment, only Emerging Markets is dithering on deciding to go green or red each day even after three months. Even looking at the longer term graphs make me wonder if I made the right choice at times, because although it grows, it doesn’t half suffer some shocking drops when it does drop.

1 Like

ISPY, FSKY are the two that are giving me grief.

I love both sectors so just have to forget it. Stonks go down

1 Like

Wtf
 I’ve just logged into a sea of red. Logged out yesterday and only had one red that was on the cusp of green and now the whole of my portfolio is red :persevere::gun::rofl:

2 Likes