What is going on today? - Megathread

:rocket: :rocket: :rocket::rocket:

Couldn’t agree more with Alex’s comments.

Unless you’re a wannabe pro day trader looking for short term gains (believe me this is a whole nother world). Identify industries that you think will prosper over the next 3-5-10 years (again I would agree with Alex’s observations and my portfolio looks similar).

Sit on them whilst keeping an eye out for any alarm bells (sometimes you have to get out if a industry or company has terminal issues).

Some of the stocks will take dips and lose 10/20% but in 2 years time when you look at the chart you will likely be well up overall.

Look back at the 5yr charts of successful stocks, even cryptos. In the early years they have drops… if you panic sold then you’d certainly be regretting it now.

I think many new investors fall in to the trap of trying to time the market hoping for quick gains. That’s a fine art in itself and is a full time job to do it properly. I’ve had traders explain to me what their day entails and there is so much more to it than just checking out companies and ‘buying low/selling high’.

DYOR etc and best of luck. Just thought add my 2 cents

11 Likes

That’s interesting. Does it mean that shareholders are selling their shares to buy t-bonds instead, and this is causing share prices go down?

Meanwhile, Cathie Wood continues to buy Tesla and Square buying more bitcoins.

Daily check in guys? :stuck_out_tongue:

I was happy all day today, lots of green across the board. Got home from a walk out and it now all red across the board. Lmao.

Whyyyy! :stuck_out_tongue:

Will probably watch the stocks tomorrow too. Get my fix before a weekend of nothing. I blame the lockdown, honestly.

3 Likes

Thems the breaks

The only thing holding my portfolio up, is the few dips I bought in various airlines back in January. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Almost everything I own is now red. Terrible day.

1 Like

*dems

1 Like

I hate looking at all the red but it probably is a good thing, so many companies are ridiculously over valued it will be better in the long term if they are judged on the fundamentals rather than pie in the sky future earnings.

1 Like

Indeed lol

The difference today is it’s a market wide sell off. Even Value stocks are getting battered relatively.

Expect a few red days as the bond yield rises

2 Likes

Can’t read that link without a subscription.

I’m confused though, how do bonds help here? My bonds have been sinking faster than the stocks; VGOV is down almost 7% :frowning:

Not my shares!

Concerning. Was now a bad time to start investing?

The best time to invest was in the past, the second best time is now. So no, just dollar cost average ETFs and you’ll be fine.

4 Likes

Always zoom out. Time in the market beats timing the market.

I don’t think anyone could time the perfect time to start investing, all that matters is that you’ve started.

As always, DYOR

4 Likes

Nope. The best time in my opinion. Things can only go up if they’ve hit rock bottom.