What is going on today? - Megathread

Mainly green today what’s going on?

Just swings and roundabouts, no doupt the big players making cash off the dips and then there will be another fall which is lower than the last fall and so on.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: the UK100. … what’s going on. Has the cost of living crisis finished :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Back in the green today, hurrah!!!

1 Like

Currently May 2022:
• Petrol £1.66
• Diesel £1.80

Personally £2,494 per year worse (£24 per tank extra).

The uk used to strike against working people being fleeced, how have the people been this tamed?

You fill up your car 100 times a year? That seems like a lot compared to my average. I maybe do ot once every couple of weeks!

Do you do a ton of driving or is it an inefficient car?

I thought cars were made to look at them not drive them :wink:

That fuel is only 11.8% more expensive over 4 decades shows how little policy makers really care about climate change, supporting petrostates, pollution. It’s a shame its so politically popular to continue to subsidise this.

4 Likes

Regular 1.6 petrol engine.
Yup, involved in events & festivals all over the place & London commute.
Fill up twice per week. 50l tank.

I would expect most who commute to find the extra £24 x2 per week to be a substantial hit. That’s losing £2,500 per year to invest. I can see why Buffet purchased billions in oil stocks.

1 Like

The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) rose by 9.0% in the 12 months to April 2022, up from 7.0% in March. This is the highest CPI 12-month inflation rate in the National Statistics series, which began in January 1997

will we see +20% interest rates? i think we may…

the supply chain wont be sorted like many think it will, too much capex required. Stagflation here to stay

Sorry @smellylegend but I genuinely spat out my tea! 20%? Yes T he adults need to take back control of the economy and take the treats away from the toddlers but 20% Interest rates would be depression causing.

4 Likes

Yip. I’m factoring in inflation being much stronger than the consensus and my risk profile includes it, making me somewhat of a prepper.

The fact that it doesn’t seem to be on many folks’ radars to me is striking. The chain reactions of future trade wars/commodities nationlizations between countries will have knock on effects that compound. A reverse in globalisation will be very painful (or even a “reallocation” of supply chains)

17% in 1979. Over 10% for a decade. Would you empty your Freetrade account and stick it in the bank if you could get 10%?

1 Like

For me depends on inflation rate and what the markets are doing.

As I understand it, high inflation and low interest rates are good for some people.

If you owe a lot of money this would be the case as you aren’t paying much interest and inflation is destroying the capital value of the debt over time

1 Like

Yes that’s what I read. Not only that, if house price inflation stays high, this adds to the effect.

Some, but tbh I don’t really trust the banking sector.

Look at Target stock. Like, that’s like Tesco or Sainsburys going down 25% in one day. Hugeeee sell off.

I think this pretty much confirms a recession

2 Likes