Wise - WISE - Share Chat

The business segment (WiseBusiness) is relatively small. This is where the potential organic growth can come from. Currently, they’re targeting SME like mine.

1 Like

Hey, I spoke to a Freetrade employee who tried to convince me that Revolut is cheaper than Wise.

As such I decided to descend into madness and create a spreadsheet of as many currency pairs as possible.

This sheet currently has 40 currency pairs (an example being USD → CNY, or Euro → USD).

Revolut has won 15 times (they offer the best conversion rate for that pair), Wise has won 17 times.

To make this as unbiased as possible please give me all of your currency pairs you are interested in. I already have the major remittance countries down, but I’d appreciate if you could name some off the top of your head (preferably some rarer ones too).

Edit: I also use different sizes. £10, £100, £1000, £10,000 being an example to make sure I get all the fees in and handle things like that.

CC: @NeilB as a Wise investor if you’re interested in the comparison please spam me with currency pairs :pray: I think it’d be really great to have a good unbiased comparison. Hopefully some future travelers will like it too :joy:

2 Likes

The exchange rate is changing all the time so kind of hard to understand what the plan here is …

1 Like

The exchange rates changing all the time does not make it impossible to compare them both. you can timestamp them and say “at this exact date and time this is what was better” or you can benchmark them over a period of time :slight_smile:

Generally the exchange rates are very similar, it’s the fees which make the largest discrepancies in my testing so far (Revolut charges £50 for a transfer, Wise charges £4 for an example). Meaning even if the difference was a couple of milliseconds it’s unlikely to affect the final transaction value.

The plan here is to see, generally, which one is cheaper. If customers generally find Revolut cheaper, and I can prove this, then it’s likely Wise has lost this edge :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok - so that is not really useful as a real-time gauge - which is all I care about. And I have both Wise and Revolut accounts so would test at point of need if I have the need to do so.

Revolut btw charges 0 for certain types of transfer. It depends on account type. I agree, there are more variables involved.

I use the premium account with Revolut, it was £72 pounds for the year, and it includes commission free transfers. I had a lot to transfer and I think that feature alone saved me thousands, even compared to Wise.

1 Like

Yeah, they tend to cover the transaction fees for a certain amount but anything over £10k and they charge a hefty fee. My initial thinking is that they load the fees at the higher end of transactions, so the people transferring £1k, £10k etc pay the fees for the people transferring £10 :slight_smile:

and I think

This is what I’m trying to prove! :slight_smile: I do not regularly transfer money (I use other Wise features) so it’s important to me personally to know which one is better for FX conversions :smiley: (it’ll also help with any holidays I have planned…)

Obviously you should do your own research to satisfy your own curiosity or needs. My point is that for me I would make the comparison, if I need to at the time it matters.

I have paid 0 fees similar to @house on certain large transactions.

Just wondering what people expect to happen to wise shares in the New Year?

Business segment to grow over the coming years

China

Gig economy

US expansion

3 Likes

Absolutely brutal day today…

1 Like

The article says Citi’s analysts warned Wise’s share price had baked in around 20 per cent of annual compound revenue growth over the next eight years.

My comment is not specifically about Wise.

I am just using the quote from the article to draw to the attention of people who are new to share trading or people who say things like “Z are going to make money in 2 years time and then the price will explode” a valuable observation.

The learning lesson here is that often expectations are baked into the present price. So in the future when the share price goes up or down often it is because the results don’t conform (both +ve and -ve) with the expectation that the market has. Sentiment also has its hand in this.

3 Likes

Well I didn’t expect it to drop this low… :frowning:

4 Likes

Wise is Tanking this morning!

PayPal was sinking a lot yesterday.

So SWS seems to have finally updated their sticker price calculations for £WISE to reflect how well the company is doing in terms of earnings. Wonder if it will have an impact on the stock price

3 Likes

Looks like I didged a bullet wiht this one. I got an invitation to get extra shares as a Wise customer but luckily I did not go through with it.

Thanks for posting Mig, can you tell me the site where you got this grafic - SWS?

It’s Simply Wall St: https://simplywall.st/
Great resource for finding interesting stocks and getting additional analysis, but make sure to still do your own research!

2 Likes