100 New ETFs Live Right Now! 30th SEPTEMBER 2020

Weā€™ll fix that, thanks.

2 Likes

Furthermore I canā€™t help wondering if further stocks and ETFs will get moved behind a paywall in the future. People often state how important trust is with their broker - well this doesnā€™t feel like a very trustworthy move.

Iā€™m in a similar boat as you and whilst Iā€™m disappointed that part of my portfolio is going to require Plus I donā€™t feel conned. I see it as they made their whole universe free for as long as viable and have now made a transparent distinction as to what will be in Plus.

Itā€™s a bit like when the ISA was free and then they started charging Ā£3. Since early Summer we have been told that there will be paywalled stocks and ETFs so Iā€™m not in total shock that theyā€™re adding non-iShares/Vanguard ETFs to Plus. If they didnā€™t draw this line there would be very little in Plus and FT wouldnā€™t have an attractive Plus stock universe.

12 Likes

The way I see it at the moment I have my Vanguard ISA. Very quickly Freetrades fixed fee pricing for ISA are be more affordable than Vanguard. And when SIPPs roll around, Freeteades plus offering will be more affordable than Vanguard combined account fee (Max Ā£275~ a year). Not to mention access to non vanguard options and instant trading for no fee. It will be something I could easily switch to (when some extra features arrive :eyes: that id very much like)

5 Likes

Will there be further nasdaq ETFs added to the free section? The ishares one is around Ā£500 per share making it not too easily accessible without UK fractional shares.

1 Like

According to todayā€™s news the answer would be no. non-iShares would be Plus only

Here is a list of Nasdaq 100 ETFs

To repeat what was said in the other thread, I think all these complaints about ETFs/stocks moving into Plus, is totally solved by charging Ā£1 (or whatever) to buy them without plus.

13 Likes

Absolutely. If you have an iShares or Vanguard NASDAQ tracker in mind, weā€™ll do our utmost to get it live asap if possible at all.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s best FT build out all the features for plus to make it a product that is worth the Ā£10. I feel if they implement the Ā£1 cost to buy plus stocks it will take away from the plus product offering in the future. And if they decide to take it way in the future it will be the same complaining that is going on now. Also I donā€™t even see the stickiness to implement it. Itā€™s more of a immediate compromise to please a few people. I think itā€™s better to focus on spending time and resources building out plus features so that those who want to pay Ā£10 have a great reason to do so.

6 Likes

Unfortunately that is exactly how this move comes across for ETFs that were previously free to purchase. I canā€™t rely on FT to allow me to continue to build stakes in previously free ETFs - the analogy that someone made with ISAs isnā€™t quite the same in that it was always widely advertised that ISAs would be chargeable. Until todayā€™s change there was no warning that available ETFs were at risk of being put behind a paywall.

Sorry but that is the exact opposite of being ā€œsomething reliable that you can count onā€.

6 Likes

@acamp and @Viktor - will IShares and Vanguard ETFā€™s always be available in the free account? Like many, Iā€™m concerned these may eventually be moved to Plus so an undertaking that they wonā€™t move to Plus would be very reassuring.

Thanks.

2 Likes

It would be the other way round, theyā€™re growing the universes so will move plus stocks to free.

1 Like

Yes - these will always be free. Weā€™re dramatically increasing the choice of ETFs available in free (alongside adding more stocks) and these will stay in the free plan.

8 Likes

Thank you for confirming.

Yep, as many have mentioned you canā€™t just remove things like EQQQ from the free plan. This will drive me and others away from freetrade eventually and is definitely against the mission FT was always boasting about.

4 Likes

Great addition on the ETFs, well done. For the more top down / macro investor on here we now have an excellent range for most uses. Iā€™m only missing GDXJ and then my HL account will be redundant. Any news on adding GDXJ soon?

2 Likes

The iShares version is an accumulating one and not distributing one so not a valid replacement.

1 Like

Been really happy with Freetrade up this moveā€¦ But this is the first time Iā€™ve thought about moving awayā€¦ I own a few of the 28 stocks myself and Iā€™m very disappointed in Freetrade on this one. Not the brand I thought it was and now starting to see some business moves instead of core values to support that attracted me to the service. It wouldnā€™t be so bad if plus wasnā€™t overvalued. Just my opinion but I reckon Iā€™m not aloneā€¦

2 Likes

Been pushing for VanEck Gaming and E-Sports for forever and when the day finally comes itā€™s only available to plus.

Really really really disappointingā€¦

2 Likes

New users wonā€™t care about this, and itā€™s good to see the universe expanding.

However, as someone who has invested and been with FT from the start I have at least 4 ETFs here that are about to be paywalled.

I have to say my view of the approach is very poor in terms of trust. Now I am concerned with building positions in anything with FT if itā€™s the case that at some point they can be paywalled.

Sure itā€™s Vanguard and iShares today, but what if in future itā€™s based on some other decision that could affect my ability to invest in my long term portfolio?

I donā€™t think ETFs are the right thing to paywall given they are the foundation of investing for most people.

15 Likes

I get your concern but it seems a bit over the top surely?

No one can predict the future thereā€™s no magic ball. But thatā€™s the same for any company. Your concern here is the same everywhere. But the reality is what it is, thereā€™s a clear line of whatā€™s plus and not and a business wants to run on a stable profitable foundation. Changing the rules constantly doesnā€™t get that.

Thatā€™s why thereā€™s choice. Youā€™re not locked in, so are able to leave to another platform. But your question applies to every platform and not particularly unique to Freetrade.

6 Likes