AMA: Ask our CEO Adam your questions about our upcoming crowdfunding round šŸ—£

Hey everyone :wave:

Thanks for joining me on a bank holiday Friday morning!

Iā€™m currently on family holiday in Malta and will try and get through as may questions as possible now, but weā€™ll also be having the open hours at our office on Tuesday evening and then Iā€™ll be furiously answering questions again when the official Crowdcube campaign starts next Thursday at 12 noon.

One thing to note, this AMA is meant to answer any questions you have about the upcoming crowdfunding campaign logistics and such. I want to make clear it is not a public offering and much of the details of investment offering are only appropriate to be disclosed as part of the FCA-regulated crowdfunding. That means specific information that would only be released as part of the investment materials on our Crowdcube page will need to wait until Thursday, when it will be available to all Crowdcube members through their website.

Iā€™d encourage everyone to sign up for Crowdcube in advance as an account would need to be created and there is a questionnaire etc that does take a bit of time.

That said, Iā€™ll share what I can now :smiley:

14 Likes

This will almost certainly not be the last capital raise Freetrade does as we have very ambitious plans for growth in the future.

It may be the last raise we do as pure crowdfunding though as there is a limit set by the EU on how much a company can crowdfund without a prospectus. But of course we could issue a prospectus, similar to how Monzo and Crowdcube itself have done before, but we havenā€™t made any decisions on that yet.

9 Likes

Weā€™ll release up-to-date user numbers and financial projections as part of the crowdfunding investment materials. Weā€™ll also release the most recent audited financial statements (not yet filed at Companies House).

In terms of EU expansion, that is one of the main reasons for raising more capital. We currently have a regulatory passport to offer Freetrade to residents in the EU, but weā€™re not sure if we will be able to use that going forward to have to resort to Plan B due to the ongoing Brexit shambles. Regardless, we will be coming to the rest of Europe, I just canā€™t say the timing yet. :eu::heart:

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Freetrade is crowdfunding on Crowdcube :balloon:

Hi Doddsie, hope hols go well. Two questions.

Any advantage of using a different crowdfunding platform to get new exposure in next raise?

Any plans to ā€˜give creditā€™ to members who help spread/share the word and get sign ons? Iā€™m singing from the hymn sheet and love the appā€¦but i see more and more of this in new apps driving sign on.

One area that I donā€™t see transparency on app is the spread on the buy and sell of the share (a hidden commission). Is there a point where this would be visible?

Thanks!

Loving the app. Happy to see lots of green on my portfolio :slight_smile:

Craig

2 Likes

Hi @saf
Please forgive my ignorance but what does

mean?

The hard limit on crowdfunding in this round is dictated by EU regulations on crowdfunding without a prospectus, being ā‚¬8m per 12 month period (c. Ā£7m). As we raised Ā£3m less than a year ago, that gives us Ā£4m of room for this round.

Weā€™ll release the specific details on price per share etc with the opening of the Crowdcube page, but I can say the pre-money valuation will be roughly double last time.

EIS also has a limit per 12 month period, being Ā£5. So only Ā£2m could be potentially eligible and we would allocate this on a first-come-first-served basis via Crowdcube. We donā€™t have advance assurance from HMRC yet, but have applied, and have never had an issue with SEIS or EIS eligibility in our past rounds.

Finally, on growth, we have some exciting plans that Iā€™ll leave Viktor to talk more about. But I will say that the most effective channels for us have been referrals and content and we plan to double down on both.

16 Likes

Scramble mode would hide the values of the shares you own. That way you are not leaking your portfolio size when you show the app to someone.

5 Likes

Your contents been good. Can see this as a helper. Main thing I hear with people is they donā€™t know where to start with investing in shares. Or not confident in choosing a company. So more general content on having a variety of investments in portfolio (not investing all eggs in basket) and not all in shares. Maybe som individual people examplesā€¦Sarah earns x and invests in pension x and shares x etcā€¦ so far so good!

1 Like

I think our Product, Brand and Community are Freetradeā€™s greatest differentiators vs potential competitors that may offer similar charging structures.

When you look at various markets around the world in the stockbroker or investments space I think it is clearly not a winner takes all market. There does tend to be a relatively small set of dominant players that compete on factors beyond just price.

6 Likes

Thanks @saf, appreciated.
I like the idea. For privacy

When we vastly expand the universe of US stocks in the coming months that will include a lot of Asian companies (notably Chinese) that have ADRs listed in the States. But, yes, we do intent to offer Asian-listed securities but itā€™s not on the short-term roadmap for now.

EU expansion is up first, but weā€™d love to offer Freetrade beyond Europe in the future.

6 Likes

NZ and Australian banks still make too much money as no competition. Freetrade would do well there and all English too.

5 Likes

@adam, any plans to integrate with Monzo?

5 Likes

Weā€™re only offering B Investment shares in this round and these would be available to all existing shareholders equally regardless of previous investments.

Having a large number of A shares carry an extra administrative / corporate governance burden with respect to voting matters (weā€™re not keen to run Freetrade like a public company yet!). There are also restrictions placed on A shares by our Articles preventing transfers or sales, so B shares offer more flexibility for shareholders to do as they see fit without requiring rather onerous procedures for the company to facilitate.

12 Likes

It continues to increase every week as we build trust with our customers. Itā€™s always nice to see the big spike around payday. I expect to see an increase once we add the ability to transfer in accounts from other providers.

Weā€™ll release more details in the investment documents.

9 Likes

I imagine this months portfolio sizes wonā€™t grow too much, it will all be going direct to freetrade :joy:

8 Likes

Weā€™ll wait to share specific numbers with everyone upon opening the Crowdcube pitch, but as a teaser, we went over 20k iOS users soon after taking off the waitlist earlier this month. Android uptake has been strong too!

Weā€™re now a team of over 40 people at Freetrade HQ and hiring ā†’ check out our careers page here.

6 Likes

What would you say is the most efficient means to sort 1 million 32bit integers?

2 Likes

Weā€™re aiming to have balance revenue not tied to one stream. Part of that we want to align our business incentives to the best interest of our customers, instead of having the incentive to push everyone into one type of product where we make money but would not be suitable to all customers.

That said, we anticipate that our top revenue stream in the future will come from monthly subscriptions for accounts other than the Basic starter account.

On HL and other stockbrokers talking about their ā€˜price improvement serviceā€™ and ā€˜market maker networkā€™, itā€™s all a bunch of marketing spin. Almost every retail stockbroker in the UK connects to the same network of LSE retail market makers (aka RSPs) and so do we.

When we roll out our new core brokerage platform weā€™ll expand the venues we connect to beyond the traditional LSE network to include pan-European exchanges like Cboe and other liquidity providers. That should benefit our customers in the form of more venues to find the best execution for their orders.

On LSE exchange fees, that is only applicable for orders executed on the LSE order book. Trades placed through the RSP network are not subject to exchange fees.

13 Likes