Amazon - AMZN - Share Chat

Me toošŸ˜‡

Hoping for a sell option before the glitch is fixed :grin:

Me too!!!

My friend is fricking out. 1W, 1M, 1Y and Max graphs are displaying a 90%+ free fall in Amazonā€™s price. Needs to be updated before he gets a stroke. He thinks heā€™s down.
I did tell him about the stock split a couple of months agoā€¦ 1 day graph looks ok

1 Like

Google sheets havenā€™t updated so my guess is many data provider havenā€™t applied the split retrospectively. They did it fairly quickly with all other splits I can remember Tesla, Apple etc

Wellā€¦ 6:30pm I rearranged my life, scraped together a liquid Ā£1000, deposited it into my AJ Hell LISA and I think you can guess what happened next.

Tried to do the trade through the old mobile app and itā€™s still showing the +$2000 share price so my trade wouldnā€™t go through. Rang up and spoke to a nice young man who sounded like he lost the will to live many days ago.

He said that heā€™d seen a couple of message about this happening and that theyā€™d just authorised the staff to do it as a telephone trade (with the web trade fee of Ā£9.99).

Heā€™s done it, itā€™s gone through and now the AJ Hell app is showing that I have Ā£18,575.05 in Amazon. So thatā€™s nice. They are an expensive and established provider with fees that would make a millionaire wince - they should be better than this.

I thanked the dude for his time, told him that none of this was his fault but that Iā€™m used to stuff not working and that if I could move my LISA to anyone better then Iā€™d do it in a heartbeat. I should have given him my Freetrade referral code too.

12 Likes

What do think it may rise to after the split? The ideal is to make it more accessible for smaller investors is it?

Whatā€™s people options on Wallet Investors forecast?

1 Year = 665.602 USD

5 Year = +2085.9%. ā€œYour current $100 investment may be up to $2185.9 in 2027ā€

I know historically Amazon has always done well so looks like a long term hold for me. I have cashed in some of my weaker stocks & now hold 40 Amazon shares

1 Like

40 shares: The important question for you might be are you comfortable with the size of your Amazon holding relative to your entire portfolio? Many people would encourage you to diversify your portfolio so that you reduce your overall risks. So they would only make a comment about whether this size of holding is good or not in the context of the overall portfolio.

With respect to the share price going to $600+ in one year from around $120 now ā€¦. Implies to me a massive rerating of a business. Ask yourself what kind of business change and outlook would make that possible (and take into the present market capitalisation as well the companies book value when you do this).

5 Likes

Yay a stock split that means the price is going to rocket ā€¦ right? Right?

Weā€™ll actually itā€™s much more nuanced than that, of course it is otherwise companies would all be doing it.

4 Likes

Dave Clark a long standing and highly respected Amazon employee who was CEO consumer good division left and within days was announced as Co CEO of Flexport the private supply chain and logistics business.

Not getting the big chair will costs Amazon a great employee, but itā€™s a good problem to have.

After all the hype and excitement around the stock split I finally dipped my toe at $103. I think I got a bargain.

I think theres still some room to run, AMZN is hard to value and theres many headwinds coming for the company in the next few years. Iā€™ll wait for sub $100 personally.

2 Likes

Itā€™s almost as if they could do something about this, maybe make working for them more appealing, just an idea.

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t mention it on that article, but the pay difference between Amazon and Walmart in some cases seems quite stark.

ā€œWe are hearing a lot of [Amazon] workers say, ā€˜I can just go across the street to Target or Walmart,ā€™ā€ said Sheheryar Kaoosji, co-executive director of an Inland Empire nonprofit called the Warehouse Worker Resource Center. Kaoosji added that Walmart is offering some workers with past warehouse experience as much as $25 an hour. An Amazon executive told Reuters in late 2021 that the company was bumping the average starting wage for new hires in the US to more than $18 an hour, attributing the decision to intense competition among employers. He also said Amazon had increased hiring bonuses to as much as $3,000 in some geographies. - Amazonā€™s workforce turnover is so high that it could run out of people to hire by 2024 - Vox

1 Like
2 Likes

Does anyone else think itā€™s weird to use rectangle cages? This means the robots have to turn 90 degrees before driving off. If they had square ones they could speed up the process.

Iā€™m sure there is a very good reason as the Amazon robotics engineers are far cleverer than me just seems an odd choice.

2 Likes

I used to hardly ever check Amazon Prime Video, as the content was much less appealing to me.

But now they have some really decent shows on there. The Boys is excellent, they have the Bond movies and the upcoming Lord of the Rings series. Might start to give Disney and Netflix a run for their money at this rate.

After the recent price drop, Iā€™ve taken a smallish position in Amazon - still looks like an excellent business to me.

4 Likes

Theyā€™ve spent a small fortune on this, looks good.

Iā€™ve been watching more appleTV+ recently. Slow Horses is brilliant!

I worry theyā€™ve got a bit fat and weā€™re operating in a post-Bezos era. I like their push into US healthcare.

1 Like