An update on adding thousands of new US stocks đŸ‡ș🇾

Are you referring to US hosted ETFs in particular? As I’m pretty sure they are a no go due to the fact they don’t provide a Key Information Document which is required by law over here. I don’t think there’s any workaround for it.

No, I mean ETFs on the LSE
 as part of any additional UK stocks that are added to the platform in the near future

1 Like

There should be a count down or something :smirk::smirk:

12 Likes

I also hope after the US stock expansion and fractional shares we will see more ETFs.

I am an investor at Freetrade since almost a year. A lot of great progress has been made but I think its a shame that basic ETFs are not available. Like an MSCI Small Cap. Currently its not possible to custom build an MSCI World with Small Cap Factor.

Also we can only buy a hedged MSCI World - again there should be various non hedged versions with enough volume traded on LSE. Hedged ETFs are rare for a reason, yet you only have an “exotic” hedged World ETF.

Further there could be Value and Growth factor investing ETFs added. Atm we only have a momentum ETF. If people want to add more then one factor its impossible.

I understand that active investors are in the majority and bring more money in but this platform clearly does not cater to ETF investors who have a long time horizon. Its a shame, since I will jump ship as soon as a competitor offers a better than tiny ETF universe.

I will keep investing with Freetrade because there is a lot to like but if you keep neglecting ETFs, Reit-ETF because its not sexy to market on social media you will lose loyal long term customers to day traders who arent loyal. All that will remain are students who invest 20 pounds a month in tesla, amazon or flavour of the month to brag on twitter. I say keep both types of customers without alienating the other. Throw ETF investors a bone.

I have been waiting almost a year and am baffled Robinhood and Revolut havent filled that gap yet to launch an ETF craze in the UK - like Robinhood in the US. There is a need especially for the younger generation. At least get the basic bread and butter ETFs onto the plattform before you add obscure stocks.

I dont even expect 100s of ETFs and 10 MSCI Worlds, makes no sense, but at least offer one of each type. To have a Japanese Small Caps ETF but no global Small Caps ETF is a joke. If you keep neglecting this competitors will fill that void quickly.

10 Likes

@reiro
Hi Reiro,

I hope you’re liking fee-free trading.

Because what you may not know is that Investment Managers of large ETF funds charge a fee to broker platforms. Would you like this fee passed onto you?

There are different tools for different jobs. On FreeTrade, ETF isn’t necessarily the right tool for FreeTrade, but Stocks and Shares are.

Conversly, for me, Shares aren’t nessacarily the right tools for Hargreaves Lansdown (£11.95) but ETFs are free on HL.

The ETF fee is absorbed with larger brokers like AJ Bell and Hargreaves, so the cost to the platfdorm is neglible and they don’t pass it on to the customer.

But with such tight margins with FreeTrade, and the promise to try and keep fees down to a minimum, this may be the reason why it offers limited ETFs.

Really hope FT quickly adds to it’s US stocks offering. Being going a bit mad on US stocks at the mo

1 Like

A wider selection of ETFs would be a good selling point for Freetrade Plus - solving the broker fee problem.

3 Likes

Completely agree about the urgent need for more ETFs. Majority of my investments are through a robo advisor in ETFs, and until they are available on FT I will not switch fully.

5 Likes

Did anyone see Freetrade twitter post. Great marketing :smiley: Guess the new stock

3 Likes

Are any of them active yet to buy? Saw the post on Instagram yesterday but checked this morning and cant find any of the new ones, e.g. Virgin Galactic.

Feels so close, yet so far!

Surely can’t be that much longer.

Typically these additions have been done on a Friday.

3 Likes

Finally, some kind of a day that we can live forward to. I wanted to buy last week in the new US stocks but there was still nothing (so I bought more UK stocks) and still nothing. I think next time they should give a firm date rather than “in a few weeks”, “soon”, 

Same, that’s my biggest criticism for Freetrade. The use of words like “Soon”, “In a few weeks” is really frustrating for an avid customers like myself. I’d rather nothing was said, until the product is actually a week away from launch.

In my opinion features shouldn’t be announced as “soon or coming soon” until the feature has passed multiple rounds of QA (Quality assurance) and User acceptance testing (UAT) and is ready to be deployed to production.

8 Likes

It’s to allow for and mitigate any possible delay or disappointment. Same way if you order a package online, and they say it will arrive between this date and another, or when someone calls to fix something like your broadband, (will arrive between either 9-12 or 12-5). If the item doesn’t arrive or the person doesn’t show up at a specified time then they cant be held accountable if they are late or dont deliver on the exact date and time. I agree that they should not realise or tease something until its near complete, but same time it is nice to have a peek at the roadmap ahead to see whats coming (eventually).

1 Like

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Seen it plenty. Even if they avoid using it, they just use “in a few weeks” instead. 250 US stocks were “in a few weeks” in February.

“Shipping soon”

“Freetrade Alpha Coming Soon”

“Very soon”

5 Likes

THEY ARE UP!!!

(Well at least they have come up on my iOS app!!)

5 Likes

SPCE - Virgin Galactic
MGI - MoneyGram
NET - Cloudflare
MAR - Marriott
PTON - Peleton
COST - Costco
EB - Evenbrite
WM - Waste Management
SWKS - Skyworks

Just noticed, scrolled down a bit, separate section under Discovery of 250 New Stocks

2 Likes

Dropped on android too, no realty Co though?

2 Likes