Coinbase - COIN

Coinbase pro is still 0.5% for low amounts (I think less than 10k) per trade

Good point !! It seems in October 2019 they learnt that theyā€™d been losing out on serios money !!!

The 2017 peak was much kinder to customersā€¦

Haha 2017 vs 2021

Iā€™m officially old

I wonder how many big dogs miss out on reduced feesā€¦

So I rephrase ! If youā€™re trading anything around 1/3 of a BTC go pro

DYOR

+1 for IPO debut

2 Likes

They are bullish on Ether too, it is incredible, Iā€™m long ETH

Looks like they gave filed for a direct listing on the NASDAQ.

Additional link for stock request

hi
do you know if weā€™ll be able to buy counbase shares on freetrade?

Yes on the day of the IPO but only when available on secondary markets which will be a few hours after market opening.

1 Like

After the dpo iā€™d expect this listingsā€™ stock price to look something like a mountain, in the pacific, at the bottom of the ocean, staring up at the blurry dark blue ceiling.

Surely, their revenue has been inflated due to all the buying hype and this will ultimately be halved or even more in the coming few years. Until, the not guaranteed next hype faze arises.

This could be a huge retail bag drop.

1 Like

Coinbase is not going IPO its direct listing.

1 Like

Some helpful information here for those who want to know the difference between IPO and direct listing

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-20/coinbase-s-direct-listing-is-said-to-be-pushed-back-to-april

1 Like
1 Like

Coinbase CEO answering questions from Reddit users including their upcoming direct listing

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-01/coinbase-is-said-to-plan-its-direct-listing-in-two-weeks

2 Likes

Itā€™s a great company, and has definitely cornered the market as a user friendly crypto app. But 90 billion is crazy high, yet we live in crazy times so it will pump higher. Obviously retail investors will get crumbs, itā€™s the early funding partners and VCs thatā€™s are having the gonna get the largest slice of this pie!

Some useful stats here:

I donā€™t think they look too bad. Theyā€™re profitable, they had a 28% profit margin last year ($322m profit on $1140m revenue).

It depends what their growth outlook is like, which will depend on user growth and average trading volume per user growth.

If their user numbers doubled and each user started using them 5x more, say if crypto spending becomes more adopted, then assume their revenue would go up by 10x and their profit should go up by 20x as they benefit from economies of scale. That would give a P/E of $90b / ($322m x 20) = 14.

Which could be achievable in the next 2-3 years.

2 Likes

I think they look in an extremely good position and the stats speak for themselves:

Coinbase has 43 million users worldwide and over 2.8 million people actively exchange every month

Coinbase generated over $1 billion in revenue in 2020, a 136 percent increase on 2019

It also generated $322 million in net profit, the first time it made a yearly profit since 2017

Coinbase significantly increased its assets under management in 2020, from $35 to $90 billion

3 Likes

Also, I just looked up some other stats today. They appear to be the main exchange that institutions use to buy their crypto:

Tesla bought their $1.5B Bitcoin through them and they have 5 of the Fortune 500 companies as clients.

However, I commented this on reddit and someone said that the SEC filing shows that I think less than 10% of their revenue comes from institutional clients. Most still coming from retail. I think the percentage of crypto owned by institutions is set to increase though.

1 Like