Freetrade in the news šŸ—žļø

CFD trading is risky but surely any trading platform would want returning customers; if they alienate a high percentage who lose money and they donā€™t return where would that leave the platform as there is isnā€™t an infinite supply of people who would want to trade this way.

The thing is CFD trading and spreadbetting can provide a similar emotional response to gambling. even if people are losing they still keep going back because there is the chance to win big via leverage. Itā€™s addictive.

To a certain extend Share trading can be, but if you take away the leverage at least you canā€™t get into as much trouble

11 Likes
16 Likes

Ok, now thatā€™s boxed off can we have a LISA!

Iā€™m sort of semi jokingā€¦ well done to the team at Freetrade on the new product launch!

17 Likes

No joke from me. V keen for a something better and cheaper than Nutmeg! :pray:

6 Likes

Freetrade mentioned midway. Is this article the result of the journalist thread the other day?

8 Likes

Her t-shirt is freetrade pink so sheā€™s on brand. Or is that investor swag from R6?

ā€˜Free trading quickly became gamblingā€™: how novice investors get caught out by seductive deals (telegraph.co.uk)

1 Like

Really curious that 212 never seems to respond to comments whenever theyā€™re in the news these days. I see plus500, etoro etc all responded.

Some very unfortunate examples in that article of how easy it is to end up in a huge hole. I donā€™t think it would be wrong to say that that same problem can be extended somewhat to normal share dealing especially with volatile very unpredictable penny type stocks that a lot of people essentially gamble on on the word of others online.

1 Like

Am I the only one who isnā€™t paying for digital newspapers and canā€™t read that stuff behind a paywall? Ā£2 per week that are better spent on stonks :smiley:

6 Likes

They usually allow a number of free articles per week with an account. (They have to pay the bills somehow)

Basics of the article are around CFDs and how theyā€™re basically gambling. The easy access to them on free brokers with very little friction. And a number of customers who share their unfortunate mess from being prone to gambling and these companies sucking them up into CFDs or ending up gambling from
These CFD brokers and losing tonnes of money

Hereā€™s an excerpt from the end of the article

Freetrade said CFDs were glorified gambling, not investing. Richard Wilson of Interactive Investor, the stockbroker, said users were tempted to sign up by free share dealing but then put under pressure to use CFDs. Andy Bell of AJ Bell, another stockbroker, said commission-free share trading was not viable unless the costs were covered by income from other products such as CFDs.

Plus500, a CFD site, said it always sought to comply with regulatory standards, including those on advertising. IG, another provider, said users could not switch to trading more complex leveraged products without meeting stricter criteria. eToro said 85pc of its customers did not use CFDs and they could do so only if they passed an appropriateness test. Trading 212 did not respond to requests for comment.

6 Likes

I must say all this press around T212 doesnā€™t paint a good picture :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thank me later.

4 Likes

Yeah I used to invest in penny stocks back in my younger days and lost a lot. Ironically instead of trying to chase after get rich quick stocks if I had just stuck my money in a s&p fund over the last 20 years I would probably be literally hundreds of thousands Ā£ better off.

5 Likes

Dito,except I gave my money to the bookies for 28yrs.(I started with football coupons at 15)Thank god I managed to stop 12 years ago :pray::pray:

8 Likes

Itā€™s one of the reasons i think the Freetrade plus option may actually be a good thing in that way. I wonder if brokers shoud be considering prompting more education when looking at certain stocks. AIM market for example maybe should have a first time interruption on the UI to point people to the fact that it is less regulated, and that many stocks are not suitable for them to invest in

edit: in fact one thing Freetrade could do is actually indicate what market a stock is in as currently it doesnt.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea. The same way as the bookies have been forced to advertise ā€œTAKE A BREAKā€

1 Like

My current addictions are Crowdcube,Seedrs,Freetrade community ANDā€¦

3 Likes

ā€¦wait for it ā€¦APP Store :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

8 Likes