Freetrade to enter Japan

Freetrade in stealth mode working on a waiting list for users in Japan. As I understand, the first 1000 on the list are up for a chance to get Tesla stock.

Link: Freetradeが間もなく日本でサービス開始

Anything interesting I find on Freetrade I share via my Twitter (@MaxKarpis) first.

55 Likes

Wow, good find. I did not expect that!

Love it - shame this couldn’t have coincided with the Olympics!

1 Like

Just give me the next fundraise already!!!

1 Like

Very interesting. Hopefully this may also lead to access to Japanese stock exchanges Add plans for access to the Tokyo Stock Exchange

8 Likes

You sly fox @adam :fox_face::jp:

7 Likes

This is a really great find, thanks Max!

I would really appreciate an update on EU expansion from the team. The launch date has been pushed back several times already and since we still haven’t got EU stocks I can only presume there will be a further delays.

Japan, Australia, Canada is all very exciting but until Freetrade launches in the EU it all seems a bit premature to me.

21 Likes

Thats Thailand

2 Likes

3 Likes

Don’t let facts get in the way :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

Softbank next funding :eyes: :thinking:

7 Likes

Yes, @adam and @KarlB, please tell us more about Freetrade Europa and how the authorisation process is going!

14 Likes

Here here. Always eager for news direct from freetrade staff.

5 Likes

Err, I want the next crowdfunding round to be affordable to morons like me.

Could everyone please stop releasing good news about Freetrade, pumping up their guesstimates of the crowdfunding share price and also pestering the Freetrade team for developments! If anything, I’d like to hear some bad news.

Perhaps the makers of Angel Delight could sue Freetrade for trademark infringement over the shade of pink they use or something. Or anything. Bring that share price down!

25 Likes

This is great news. Japan is a very underserved market for similar fintechs and stock broker apps, and obviously a large and tech savvy population at the same time.

3 Likes

I recommend replacing the WhatsApp share option with LINE. Whatsapp is nonexistent here, and having the icon makes it seem like the country is an afterthought (bad for entering Japan).

Also, the share text (“Join me on Freetrade’s wait list”) is in English :sweat_smile:

日本で頑張ってね

27 Likes

Japan has some great companies. Would love to see some of the major ones listed on Freetrade.

7 Likes

We need Nintendo…

5 Likes

How many people have you referred to the wait list :wink:

4 Likes

So it looks like this would be covered by the UK-Japan trade agreement. Meaning Freetrade will face significantly less regulatory barriers than the EU:

Article 8.58-8.67

‘A Party shall permit financial service suppliers of the other Party to offer in its territory any
new financial service that the Party would permit its own financial service suppliers, in like
situations, to supply without adopting or modifying a law. This Article is subject to each Party’s
reservations as set out in Annexes I and II to Annex’

Freetrade appears to be covered within the definitions of a financial service this would apply to.

Going further down the rabbit hole… the UK is looking to join the CPTPP:
Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam.
(with agreements already in place with Australia and Japan).

I don’t know the timescale of the UK’s application, but being able to expand into these countries would be very exciting for Freetrade :sunglasses:

Keen to hear from the Freetrade team in due course :wave:

And someone give @heytokyo a consultant role :joy:

26 Likes