Freetrade Universe - Web

OK, for all those asking, let me try and summarise the dividend update in a table rather than answering everyone individually.

Basic question everyone is asking : Can you provide the dividend data around these new US stocks?

Answer: Yes.

Caveats: ā€œYieldā€ in this market is wild. Swings everyday. Some companies cancel dividends. You can base ā€œYieldā€ on annualised over current price, or over the trailing 12 months or over last dividend * by frequencyā€¦ youā€™ll end up in different places. Therefore ā€œyieldā€ is a little subjective and really you need to base it off your own entry price into the specific stock.

So, that asideā€¦ here is your table to play with.

Yes, some data is a little quirky. Donā€™t judge me. It took 5 minutes to produce!

https://finki.io/Dividends/Freetrade_New_US_Dividends

Enjoy

3 Likes

Yes it works a treat. Thanks Marky

1 Like

If you move the spreadsheet to Google Sheets you can get current prices with the =GOOGLEFINANCE function.

@adatherton I have that on my google sheets. I would still prefer an easily accessible web version :smiley:

@DrJonBear Files are now up on GitHub :partying_face: Feel free to add / edit / experiment :sunglasses:

Link: GitHub - markramrattan/freetrade-universe-web: Freetrade Universe on the web.

Iā€™ve also updated the first post with the GitHub link. If anyone else wants to download a copy or feels like contributing, more than welcome. Lots more changes comingā€¦ Thank you @Ian / Freetrade for allowing us to do this.

2 Likes

This is excellent as always Finki :grinning:

It would be amazing if you could add ex div date to the sheet too :+1:

1 Like

No worries @Beachjunkie, give me a few minutesā€¦ex dates will be added :+1:

1 Like

Ex Date added. ( I Hope )

https://finki.io/Dividends/Freetrade_New_US_Dividends

Enjoy :wink:

Nice one - thanks Finki :grinning:

Version 1.3:

• All 857 entries should now show the Freetrade cost of holding that stock. Click / Tap on the ISIN number will bring the document up.

• Added a feature that will search google for price / info on the stock by clicking / pressing Full name. (Still need to do some more testing on this)

• Styling updates with pagination / hover colours + others

Deduping I found the following:

Stock Name Update
Charter Comms Stock Exchange updated to XNAS
Fiserv Subtitle updated to Fintech
Farfetch ISA Eligible
Enphase Energy On mobile app, not on google sheets
Shopify Fractional Shares Enabled
Crispr Therapeutics Fractional Shares Enabled
Baillie Gifford Updated Name to Shin Nippon
Taiwan Semi Updated Name to TSMC
Spotify Fractional Shares Enabled
Manchester United Fractional Shares Enabled
EVR Holdings Droppped
Micro Focus 2 ISIN numbers (Old & New)

Improvements coming:

• Testing a few data visualisations options
  • Comparison of stocks that load data side by side
  • Resource section to gather investment info / research
  • Dividend yes / no & countdown :joy:
  • Live stock prices with alerts
5 Likes

Version 1.4 is Live:

Lots of changes:

• Look up stock via chart (iā€™ll add a tap on row which should update automatically in future version)
  • New stock added - use * to see the new ones (Donā€™t think the 7 new ETF that landed today are added on the list - will check when I get back )
  • Fresh new design (who ever made version 1.0 needs to be fired :laughing:)
  • Freetrade costs now display in an iFrame below the table - Too many windows popping up in the old version
  • Better scaling for mobile
  • Cascading info on mobile - Love this feature!
  • Plus other thingsā€¦
  • Lots more changes coming - apologies on the delay

5 Likes

Good job on the effort of building out this tool, kudos to you.

You mentioned that you wanted feedback on the tool and Iā€™d be more than happy to provide feedback from an engineering and design perspective if youā€™re interested on improving your design and software engineering skills.

1 Like

This is great! Thanks for doing this @Marky

P.S. I think I ran into a little issue with links so I raised this on the github repo to get things rolling there :innocent:

@SecureHttp of course, feel free to provide feedback from an engineering perspective. Itā€™s appreciated :smiley:

@fnery Hey! Your first post too, welcome! :smiley: I havenā€™t been updating the github repository with the latest versionā€¦ My commitment to CI/CD pipeline is lagging :smile: Going for speed to market. Iā€™ll push the latest version there now and iā€™ll check out the link issue.

1 Like

@Marky thats extremely impressive, especially for free - thank you

1 Like
  1. Okay, the first thing I noticed that could be improved on is in your index.html file.
    You should probably separate your HTML and JavaScript into separate files. The script tags you have would be better if there were in another .js file. This makes it easier for you to maintain and for other developers to collaborate with you.

2. I noticed you dumped the entire table as HTML in your index.html file. You can probably imagine how hard this makes it to maintain and scale.

A better approach would be to define the data for the table in a JSON array and use that JSON array to render the table.

1. You could probably use a front-end web framework, for example React or Vue.js. to help you handle the logic for rendering your web app. In addition, you can also use a UI framework like Bootstrap, Semantic UI etc to speed up the development of your UI.

2. From a design perspective, the freetrade costs and charges page you iframed on line 1155
    could be improved. I think you should probably get rid of the iframe all together because currently it looks very cumbersome and unprofessional. Rather, you could just use the fetch() API to navigate to the page and parse out the data you need and display it in your own table. It would look cleaner and would provide the user with a better user experience.

3. You could probably have separate pages for the TradingView graph, Table and IFrame component and rethink about how you display it. Because it all feels like it has just been smashed together. Youā€™d be surprised how a good UX/UI can make users want to continue using your product.

I think these are all changes that can help you improve and get more experience in your web development journey. Hope I was helpful, if you have any queries, donā€™t hesitate to ask :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Jim1 I never liked adverts on websites (the amount of youtube video adverts is a killer) / affiliate links or someone trying to up-sell their services. Wouldnā€™t it be great being free and providing value :smiley: I know we all got to eat, but be the change you want to see :sunglasses: #free

@SecureHttp you legend! Thank you for taking the time to write this, appreciated! :partying_face:

1. Okay will separate out the HTML from the JavaScript
  2. Very difficult to maintain, but a copy and paste job during lunch breaks is effective short term not long term :sweat_smile:
  3. Definitely doing that!
  4. I am not a fan of iFrames either. I will look to use the fetch()API to parse out the data
  5. Definitely agree, I just uploaded version 1.5 which has a hide / show toggle (iā€™ll show you in the next post). UX/UI is paramount.

Again thank you!

2 Likes

Quick Demo Video:

@fnery I put your idea for changes live. Looks like it works :sunglasses: All stocks should now open appropriately in google finance. Take it for a test drive and let me know if you see any problems.

Version 1.5 (fnery Edition):

• fnery change of MIC to XYNS - NYSE / XNAS - NASDAQ / XLON - LSE
  • Toggle what you want displayed - Hide and show / Chart / Table / Web
5 Likes

Maybe add a ā€œdonate a coffeeā€ button for anyone that wants to say thanks for the service? Letā€™s those willing/able to contribute something do so, without putting pressure on anyone that doesnā€™t want to? Might help towards hosting costs if the traffic gets large?

4 Likes