IOS 12.5.7 - app crashes on launch

Hi, my name’s Stuart and I’m an iOS engineer at Freetrade.

Firstly, I’m really sorry for the issue you’ve experienced. To be prevented from using the app for any amount of time is really poor, so we’re sorry this crashing bug slipped through the net. We appreciate your patience while we looked into it properly.

We’ve now identified the problem and are rolling out a fix as soon as possible. We can update you on exact timing for this shortly.

I thought it would help to give a bit of technical background on what happened here…

We recently updated some 3rd party code in our app and unfortunately it contains a bug that causes the app to crash immediately after opening for a small number of our customers, specifically those who are using iOS 12 (@ANDREAS and @dkdkdk12321 I see you said you’re using iOS 14; I’d like to know if you’re still experiencing any issues, or if this upcoming fix will solve it for you as well).

Unfortunately, issues specifically affecting iOS 12 are increasingly difficult to catch & test. Apple’s development software no longer supports testing iOS 12 in the same way as more up-to-date iOS versions. We strongly urge customers to update to the latest version of iOS (where possible) for the best experience, and to ensure their device and data continues to be protected by the latest security features from Apple.

We do run extensive automated and manual testing on our apps, but as a result of this incident we’re looking at adding new tests that would hopefully catch future issues of this kind before the app is released.

I hope that is a helpful insight, and once again thanks for your patience while we get the issue sorted!

10 Likes