My freetrade dividend journey on YouTube

32 Likes

Interesting listening to someone’s thought process. Brave buying Debenhams and not sure on Halfords long term, doubt Corbyn will get in power and if he did unlikely to nationalise so Centrica probably good buy.

3 Likes

Portfolio has since almost doubled ,posting next video on Monday I’ve added much more quality too in the portfolio.

1 Like

Not sure going for dividend stocks is a great strategy long-term (especially if you’re aiming for these to fund retirement). Usually stocks that pay big dividends do so because the company has fundamental problems or it is in a specific stock type e.g. cyclical. If you’re looking to go for retirement then target growth stocks primarily.

3 Likes

You’ve got to start somewhere. Enjoy the ride and I hope that this works out for you. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Everyone has their own strategy and investment philosophy. Seasoned fund managers have dividend strategies or growth/quality strategies.

As long as you know what you’re trying to aim for, there is no right or wrong. That’s the freedom Freetrade and it’s educational material has given all its customers.

13 Likes

Good stuff but not sure about Debenhams reaching a £1 / share - more likely £1 for the whole company :wink:

4 Likes

Nice video :+1: interesting to hear other people’s thoughts

Good luck with Debenhams :grinning:

Many of the ETFs pay a dividend as well?

2 Likes

“Just been accepted off that stupid, horrible waiting list” :joy: Found this funnier than I should have.

Quality insight, look forward to part 2.

8 Likes

Nice one Louis. Your portfolio and strategy is not that different to mine, so be interesting to follow your videos and see if we diverge or carry on the same path.

I’ve been freetrading since December and at last count I was about 5.25 % up on what I put in, but I’ve yet to get a divi from any of them. In my other trading app I’ve found BAE a good dividend grower, reinvesting divs over 5 years it’s now about 45% up. A little sketchy on the ethical side as they make bombs and weapons, but each to their own!

Keep up the good work :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks stu yeh Iam still waiting on my first dividend should have received it on Thursday that was the payment date anyway just hope I get it otherwise it defeats the object of what Iam trying to do. I’ve added a lot more stocks and playing with strategies. I think ford is a good one and imperial Brands.

2 Likes

Dividend is also my strategy now (I reshuffled recently), my thoughts: going for growth stock assumes at some point you need to sell to realise a return, good luck timing that. Dividend is about the journey, not the destination; with my etf, for every £10k I put in I get an annual income of £600+. It is this income I am focusing on, not some future figure in 15 years when who knows what state the market is in.

Keep to stock in major indicies to reduce the risk of dud stock and using an etf to reduce dividend lock in - because ultimately it is the fund i am interested in, not really the underlying companies (as long as they are in a good index).

Final note: if I recall some dividend etf have out performed the ftse100 over the last 10 years.

5 Likes

Dividend based stocks are good strategy but I think it’s when you have invested couple of thousands and willing to wait.

I would rather go for day to weekly trading. If you know your norms, know the stocks you investing then your portfolio value would increase slightly faster.

1 Like

The available evidence shows that any edge you might be temporarily lucky enough to have would be lost on transaction costs. On average you’re better off buying and holding.

4 Likes

True but that’s where the calculation comes in.

I fundamentally disagree. Growth stocks aren’t necessarily about market timing on sale - especially if your time horizon is several decades. The natural growth - even with recession phases - should see comfortable ROI on the base invesmtnet. Not to mention that growth stock portfolios will usually end up with better income yields than a dividend strategy (despite the lower yield %) because of the likely higher base value.

Dividend strategies are best for people either in or close to retirement IMO. The majority of people in that bracket will have primarily bond portfolios with the equity portion bolstering any annuity or other pension income.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I disagree with that, if you reinvest the dividends to compound the returns dividends work great over the long term. Young investors getting into stable long established companies with decent dividends should see excellent returns over 10-20 years (or more) and it might well be safer than betting on the latest fad

4 Likes

A dividend isn’t like interest in a savings account. High dividend yield companies usually have poorer growth prospects and the compound effect of natural growth over time far exceed that of high dividend yield shares.

If a company is yielding near 10% they are usually doing so to offset the natural reduction in share value.

I’m not talking about high yielding failing companies. Plenty of big established companies pay 4% or more. Look at Big Oil, Big Pharma, Utilities, Insurance etc

High growth stocks often come with higher risk