My freetrade dividend journey on YouTube

As I said Boeing dropped for obvious reasons so bought that. And other stock was on sale. Trust me it made sense at the time :see_no_evil:

This is such an interesting thread for a newbie like me. I’m mostly buying dividend stocks, and diversifying with a goal of at least 20 positions, I’m also looking for businesses with 2bn mcap as a baseline (feels less risky) and a good to P/E ratio. I’m also looking at the debt to equity as another indicator for stability. The only position I’ve bought that doesn’t have a dividend is Berkshire Hathaway, but I’m kind of seeing that more like a bond - such is my faith in it’s ability to grow over time. With 20 plus positions, and limited resources, adding to those positions each month will be a stretch. Does anyone have a preferred method for prioritising which positions to top up?

3 Likes

Also Berkshire actually gives you more exposure as it has positions in other companies.

Careful not to accidentally double up on your exposure.

Good point Stephen. I’ve just checked and haven’t doubled up, but it easily could have happened! I’m thinking over time that a mix of stocks that offer growth and no dividend, along with dividend stocks could be a good model. I’d be interested if other people have this is a model, or is it better to go for one or the other?

1 Like

I have a mix, I’m probably at about 75% dividend stocks and the rest (hopefully) growth :slight_smile:

Can I ask your opinion on the Allergan acquisition and the expected 2023 humira patent expiry for Abbvie?

1 Like

I personally think it’s a great acquisition it just gives abbvie more diversity in my opinion. Also they had to do something with the whole humira patent running out in 4 years which currently makes up 61% of abbvies income. ( just a side note, this income won’t immediately stop in 4 years but it will slowly reduce year after year) And this acquisition changes the humira income dependency from 61% to 41%. Here is a great video explaining the whole acquisition the good points and bad.

1 Like

Thanks for this, watching the video now. He talks about the low p/e (7.?) for abbvie after the drop, but if the acquisition goes through, what is relevant would be p/e of the combined group?
I think it’s ideal if you’re part funding an acquisition with your own shares and using your own shares as currency, that you have a high P/E on your own shares. That way you’re giving away less of shareholders earnings. A question I have is that, does the fact abbvie share price fell mean that the acquisition instantly costs ~10% more as one of the ‘currencies’ used is abbvie shares?

I wonder if the ideal outcome could be acquisition doesn’t proceed but low entry point has presented for abbvie, especially as the low p/e accounts for humira revenue tapering off.

I’m reading a book called the outsiders where the author talks about the need to focus on per share value rather than enlarging the company in absolute terms through debt fuelled acquisitions and mergers but not much value created on per share basis in many cases. Some CEO’s are credited with pulling off acquisitions when company p/e was at all time high and the company being acquired was cheaply valued.

All that being said I barely have passing acquaintance with these two companies so have no idea on the strategic merits of the deal and synergies etc but I do think it’s important to have some idea of how to decide if a company is overpaying on an acquisition.

Search for the company here: https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ and will show ex dividend and pay dates. Freetrade normally pay 2-3 days after.

where’s your next video? It’s been 1 month!

1 Like

Sorry for delay I’ll be updating this week :+1:t4:

4 Likes

Curious to see your current portfolio for comparison after this week’s crash.

Are you doing much short selling?

Can’t get enough of the series louis :grin: it’s awesome. Really helps newbies too

2 Likes

Dividend portfolio update please watch and let me know your thoughts

5 Likes

Looks like we’ve all missed out on the huge 20% increase in Target which has been on my want list like forever :confused:

1 Like

Hey Louis, your portfolio is looking great! Congratulations on being committed on Freetrade and for creating your videos. May I ask how you conduct your investment research and pick the different stocks? Additionally, what made you choose individual stock picking instead of going for a low-cost dividend ETF?

It looks like you have 8% in cash as dry powder for when the market tanks. What stocks are you looking to load up on?

1 Like

Curious to know if you still believe dividend investing is the right approach over growth investing?

I’m assuming you’re still relatively young so growth investing, or a mixture of growth/value investing, would usually be the norm. Dividend investment is more popular with the over 50s and retirees who are looking for income out of their portfolio.

2 Likes

That’s the case if you want income now, but if you don’t need the income yet, reinvesting dividends is a very powerful way of growing your portfolio over a number of years due to the compounding effect. Often Dividend stocks will show some growth as well, roughly in line with the whole market

Stocks that pay very high dividends often do so to offset underlying weakness in the company itself.

Amazon and Microsoft haven’t been paying a dividend but the growth in those stocks has been immense.

1 Like

Growth stocks reinvest their ‘dividends’ as well which creates the same, albeit larger, compounding effect. Studies show that dividend stocks/strategy underperform the market. There are valid reasons to go for dividend investing, but these reasons do not include capital growth.

1 Like