PayPal Holdings, Inc. is an American company operating a worldwide online payments system that supports online money transfers and serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods like cheques and money order.
I use PayPal extensively for businesses. I’d love to buy shares in them.
Feel free to create a new #investing-and-markets topic & share your thoughts about Paypal’s future with the community
Any thoughts on Paypal?
I want to invest towards our cashless future (already hold the Chinese tech giants). Paypal looks solid, but there’s lots of competition here - Stripe, Square, Adyen. I’d rather invest in a payment processor than a credit card company like Visa.
2c here on $PYPL and I’m not expert in this area or any field—just a user like you:
- Crowded market, lots of competition: eBay, which spun off PayPal, is leaving PayPal in favour of Adyen in 2021. Adyen was founded in 2006. PayPal was created as a result of Elon Musk’s X . com and Peter Thiel’s Confinity in the 90s.
- Stay relevant—innovate: consumers are winning, but providers have to fight hard, it’s innovate or become irrelevant. Think what Shopify did to eBay—it’s now only behind Amazon, apparently. What has PayPal done since the 1990s pay by email? They have iZettle payments devices. But that market there is crowded too. They have Uber and other partnerships.
- User engagement, growth: apparently those are doing ok, check the historical financial reports.
- International reach and userbase, so it’s not deriving most of its revenue from one place, unlike e.g. Square.
The stock has been up but it’s up to your investment style—what are you trying to get out of it?
I’d recommend studying the field they are in, study the company. Old fashioned homework.
This is not an investment advice Not a holder of $PYPL
- The loss weighed on PayPal’s third-quarter earnings, and the company said it would change its accounting methodology to exclude the impact of such investments in the future.