Problems upgrading to Freetrade Plus

I have finally been able to upgrade to Plus this morning.

Just a warning to everyone when you sign up I would advise that you use a debit card and not a credit card as credit card companies class the freetrade subscription as a cash advance (the same as they do with gambling transactions) hence I have now been charged fees and interest.

Would be helpful if Freetrade warned customers of this on sign up

The various Banks and credit card companies have different definitions of what cash like transactions are. My credit card companies do not regard account usage fees (i.e. the subscription fee) to Freetrade as cash-like.

If and when Freetrade starts to do Crypto the situation materially changes (as far as my CC companies are concerned) and then the fees would be a cash advance.

I can only go by what Lloyds class it as but they class freetrade subscription’s as a investment and therefore treat it as cash advance

is why I replied. I wanted others not to assume what you said was generally true. If you had said Lloyds or even just “my own CC company” there was no reply needed.

1 Like

I didn’t mention a specific provider as if Lloyds class it like that there will be many who will view it as the same (including the various Lloyds group of card brands which there are a few) hence the warning as at least people know the risk or can check if that applies on there card.

@gkrjack I have the same problem, I can’t upgrade at all :man_shrugging: