Stock Prediction League - Jan 2020

Iā€™m in. We can potentially create a virtual game on Market Watch. I havenā€™t tried it before, but maybe someone on the forum tried it before and can provide his/her opinion.

4 Likes

This would be awesome!

Iā€™m in. Already got my long position picked!

Hi, so where should I post my picks? when does it start?

Sorry all Iā€™ve had a busy few weeks. Iā€™ve had a look at MarketWatch and it seems a little complicated for my tiny mind! Anyone have experience setting it up?

Here you go: FreeTrade League- - Free stock market game - MarketWatch

The password is FreeTradeL

Your portfolio limit is $20k - there is also 0% commission. No short selling allowed, but there is fractional shares.

Let me know if you have any issues.

4 Likes

Thanks @mrpbennett is this limited to US stocks? I donā€™t have time to do it now but Iā€™ll probably be able to make it before the US market opens. Thanks for making it :muscle:

I think it is im afraid. :frowning:

1 Like

Thatā€™s good news Iā€™ll get my picks done at lunch :raised_hands: good work

Just as an aside - Iā€™ve managed to source a spreadsheet if you want to hold off for a bit.

I may or may not have negotiated a prize tooā€¦

1 Like

Im happy to do multiple leagues especially if there is a prize ha

2 Likes

Can we try and agree some rules of engagement? If weā€™re to run our own, imo better for the long run, better that we develop the tools and rules needed to run it long termā€¦

I think Jan to Jan is a good time to run it.

Two picks for the whole upcoming year. You can change one at the 6 month point (like a transfer window).

Net growth on share price, not including dividends. Iā€™ll use Google Finance to pull prices and currency conversions on US.

Maybe limit picks to only on the Freetrade Stock Universe?

Freetrade have very kindly offered up water bottles and socks to the top ten places, with a meal and drinks with the team to whoever wins.

Anyone want to change anything?

2 Likes

Sounds great! But why not including dividends?

Makes it harder to track? I can pull in everything else on the hop. I really donā€™t want to plug in thirty dividends four times a year if I can avoid it.

Only thing id add is allow people to buy / sell when ever they want. If you were going to restrict it, I would go quarterly, as this is when many fund rebalance.

I think we should go the whole stock universe personallyā€¦it may help stocks get added quicker, if we were to pick winners. I like to use the FTSE 250ā€¦FT doesnā€™t have many stocks in that sector.

Also whatā€™s the portfolio allocation going to be? Questionā€¦how will you manage this in a spreadsheet? curious thatā€™s all as it sounds like a head ache lolā€¦every tab for every user type thing.

1 Like

I was thinking a mixture of Google Forms and Sheets. Use a paste value of the Jan 1st price and have a live running price pulled from Google Finance automatically next to it (then subtract and percentage and order by value).

It shouldnā€™t be too tricky to automate the vast majority of it.

3 Likes

ok niceā€¦im inā€¦especially if we do the whole stock universe :smiley:

Hello everyone,

So Iā€™ve created a quick form to gather everyoneā€™s picks, Iā€™m off at the weekend so will build some form of spreadsheet tooling / steal elements of Freetrades to track and display the league table effectively.

https://forms.gle/j9MH4Hz5zbcF2MoA9

Please keep it to one pick, weā€™ll have a transfer window (if you require) at points during the year. If youā€™re going obscure please let me know the stock exchange your pick is listed on so I can pull the current price. If I canā€™t pull a live price, Iā€™ll let you know and you can repick.

@shane-aurora - @MrBurchy - @Kezberg - @Bob - @AJHY - @jakub - @Fulforce - @weenie - @Rollingskies - @PoemofXtasy - @Jim_mcgrain - @NeilB - @Andyf - @Reventh7 - @Ceetey29 - @Yas - @lkbtang - @Marcin - @Ethan - @_drei - @TomShepherd - @mrpbennett - @damianKa - @Viktor - @Freetrade_Team

I think thatā€™s everyone who expressed an interest so far!

There are water bottles socks, dinner and of course pride at stake!

14 Likes

In Steve. Hope my pick doesnā€™t do well in December for the league but I own it so I hope it does :joy:

When will be able to view everyones pick Steve? Thanks for doing this as well good luck to everyone else

Edit: Itā€™s % gain right and not monetary gain p/s?

1 Like

Hi Steve, I just wanted to say a massive thank you for setting this up for everyone. I will be in very shortly. Im looking forward to participating in this!

3 Likes