Stock prices incorrect in Freetrade?

So in simple terms, when looking to buy shares, what is the best method to know how much i will actually be buying them for?

Also, where can I get up to date prices on shares in real time

Without a firm quote from your broker, say, Freetrade, the truth is you wonā€™t

However, one unscientific method is to look for a live market price somewhere. Say, the Trading 212 App or HL.

Howver, the ā€˜liveā€™ market price will only show the the actual, real world spread.

This is useful to know but wonā€™t account for any RSP price improvement youā€™re likely to achieve.

Hence the FinKi-LSE-Share_price-Magic-Predictor-Thingy ā€¦

https://finki.io/finkiPrice.php?ticker=IHP

Change the ticker to another LSE ticker andā€¦ hey presto! (usually, there are a LOT of bugs currently)ā€¦ but youā€™ll get a better ideaā€¦ keep refreshing the page to see the price moveā€¦

1 Like

That link that you have given, it is not working for some reason

Also depends what youā€™re trading

If, say, your trading Vodafoneā€¦ itā€™s highly liquid, highly covered by market markers etcā€¦ hence, the spread is virtually nothingā€¦ so the difference between bid and ask will worry you less

If youā€™re trading A N Other stock do some research beforehand to guard against disapointment.

If, say, you were trading a stock that sits on the LSE SETSqx segment you can run into oddities between brokers as to how they execute stocks that have intra-day auctionsā€¦ like, say, GGP

Itā€™s really about just understand the quirks.

1 Like

Itā€™s rate limited and on a demo server. ie. it will fall over

The point isā€¦ change the ticker to stocks you;re interested in before trading and get a sense of the market spread

When you say

ā€œYou have to be aware of the Bid/Ask difference. The market was not ā€œtrading at 124.2ā€. It was trading at 124.3 to sell and 133.9 to buyā€
So the price on for example webull or Google, does that not show the buying price

Can not say with 100% certainty but Google, for example, only quotes you ONE price
No asset has ONE price
It has TWO
One to buy, one to sell. The difference is the ā€œspreadā€
The ā€œspreadā€ is the cut the market makers are taking for the risk they are taking of providing 2-way liquidity intraday.

So, strictly speaking, no, Google is not showing the buying price.
It usually shows you ā€œlast priceā€ which is no idications its a ā€œbuyā€ or a ā€œsellā€
I assume this led to your issue with SDRY earlier.

Google fince right now for SDRY showsā€¦

Superdry PLC
LON: SDRY
127.20 GBX āˆ’2.40 (1.85%)

Yet the actual spread is 127-131

Because the last trade though the LSE on a 15minute delay was
a ā€œSALEā€ @ 127.2

So confirmed. Google is showing ā€œlast tradeā€ - which is confusing to newbies, I understand

1 Like

I think it would be good if Freetrade showed an indication of the spread, itā€™s one area where having a simplified interface is causing confusion. Also you might choose not to buy less liquid shares if you knew how wide the spread was

3 Likes

hmmm, this looks incorrect unless iā€™m seeing things?

The price of the in app screen shot looks like the price pre their reverse split maneuver. Just checked in my app and its showing $14.18 correctly for me. Have you been keeping the app updated?

The current price showed correctly for me but the history doesnā€™t. Yep, App is up to date, the only thing iā€™m currently in the middle of is testing the fractional shares. (unless its some how due to that?)

Might be a coding issue with the reverse stock split then - the shares were down to less then .50p before the reverse split took them to Ā£14 odd.

ā€œHoping people arenā€™t relying on any of the data in the app to make trading decisionsā€¦ā€œ What would you suggest people use to make a decision if not the data on the platform theyā€™re investing in?