The latest on the rollout

@Viktor How many people are on the Beta testing version? Ans when do you expect to start rolling out the app? Feels there is a good opportunity to get free marketing to have the app go live and raise £3m… and tripple that wait list.

1 Like

It’s only @adam on the platform at the moment!

1 Like

Hi, are atere any updates on rollout?
What is left to do?
What month are you going to start rolling out iOS app?
Thanks,

Adam

1 Like

Slow and steady for the early app rollout, then we’ll ramp things up quickly when we are comfortable that all systems are working as intended.

Last week: The first funding of an account (mine) and first trade being executed and then settled. :tada:
This week: Onboarding other Freetrade team members, doing our first batch trade and buying securities that will have corporate actions to test those processes amongst other things.
Next week+: Hooking up the front end app to the brokerage platform to test trades using the shiny buy and sell buttons.

Key point is that we are a financial institution that is the custodian of our clients’ cash and securities. We need to make sure all the back-end systems and controls are working perfectly before onboarding external customers. We also need to make sure the front-end app experience is integrating flawlessly with the other systems before pushing it out to customers in significant numbers.

As they say, only one chance to make a first impression!

13 Likes

Will you be issuing a beta for people to test, maybe using TestFlight? Happy to do this if so.

Not sure if it is still relevant but it is the most we have from the insiders in regards to testing:

1 Like

:point_up: this gets probably closest, @J2ono. It will be testing individual screens, interactions though, so not the full app. Our beta testing is the staggered roll-out.

1 Like

@adam’s customer account is ready, and he bought £VUKE. As he said, more team members are getting accounts soon, and engineering will hook up the front end app to the brokerage platform, so we can leave the backend to the hmm… backend, and use only the app to buy and sell.

When the above is done as well as penetration testing. We are dying to give you an exact date, and we will soon.

Good thinking. :wink: Crowdcube rounds provide visibility. We have record signups these days, but are a little bit more focused on getting the first non-team member customer accounts going, which is the right thing to do for growth. I’m personally very bullish on our 100,000 customer accounts in 12 months target!

5 Likes

I see AJ Bell are floating for £500,000,000 with 172,000 customers. Does this give guidance to what we could be valued at with similar numbers?

http://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/aj-bell-reveals-float-plans-with-exclusive-shares-for-172000-customers/a1100193

2 Likes

Probably not the best example to benchmark against. All their customers raise direct revenue in some shape or form (on the top of FX fees and cash balance interest), whereas certainly not all of Freetrade’s customers will bring the same value.

Makes more sense to compare against Robinhood, their valuation is based on $2,000 per user.

It’s such positive news, I’m just happy to wait for it.

Glad you take risk seriously and that you do the necessary testing, maybe beta uat, and then release when you are satisfied it’s secure and efficient.

Keep up the good work.

4 Likes

Hi all - a bit of an update on what we’ve been up to this week:

https://freetrade.io/blog/updates-on-live-trading-we-may-25th/

(Side note - I was made to wear the sunglasses under duress, apparently it makes me look more “fintech”)

15 Likes

Great post there! One thing I did not quite understand:

We’ve ironed out a few bugs in the last couple of days, and are waiting on 4pm today (when the trades execute) to check these have all been resolved — it’s all looking good so far though! :muscle:

Cmon, could we not get Adam an Alpha account with instant trades? Or donate £1 so that the outcome of that trade could also be shared on the blog? :rofl:

1 Like

Fake news - Rob loves those sunglasses :sunglasses:

7 Likes

3 Likes

We’ve also been testing our basic trades in pre-production this week. These are more complicated than the instant trades because of the delayed execution, as before they execute we need to check the current price and adjust orders to scale down the number of shares if the price has risen.

I knew there was nothing basic in “basic” trades. Bet the test cases the engineering team have to write just keep growing :nerd_face:

1 Like

How many Carnival shares did your buy? Dividend of 2.5% (quarterly?) is that correct? :+1:

1 Like

Declares it’s dividend in USD so depends how you want to account for the FX. At current cable rate I calculate an approx. annualised yield of 2.75% (assuming gbpusd @ 1.33, current share price circa 4927 and the $0.4, $0.45, $0.45 and upcoming $0.50). Of course this is a moving target. Quarterly, correct.

As for how many Adam bought - loads. He went big. No, he didn’t. He went small. The dividend payment on June 18th will not change his life.

5 Likes

At current cable rate I calculate an approx. annualised yield of 2.75% (assuming gbpusd @ 1.33, current share price circa 4927 and the $0.4, $0.45, $0.45 and upcoming $0.50).

giphy

5 Likes

Actually it might change his life, if it all works smoothly and the app is awesome (which we know it will be) then millionaires all round I think!!

… this time next year Rodney

1 Like