Transferring shares from computershare into Freetrade ISA

Hi, i have exercised shares from a sharesave scheme, they are now held by computershare.
I understand i have 90 days from receiving the shares to transfer them into my freetrade ISA account in order to be not liable for capital gains tax.
Does anyone know how to do this? I can see i can add a broker and initiate a transfer from computershare.
And freetrade have a form to transfer an ISA into a freetrade ISA. But i don’t have/ know a broker and the shares are just ordinary shares in a regular share account (held by computershare). All help welcome, thanks

2 Likes

You can’t do this. Unless you’re transferring shares from another ISA, it’s not possible. Cash is the only thing you can deposit into an ISA. Shares must be by way of transfer from a separate ISA.

Hi @natec

There are some ISA providers that allow this if they’re from a particular type of company share scheme. I’ve pinged our transfers team to check if we can facilitate this. There’s more information here:

Tax and Employee Share Schemes: Transferring your shares to an ISA - GOV.UK.

1 Like

I’ve done this in the past from a Sharesave direct to an ISA within the allowable limits ( not to FT but with HL ). You’re right that you have 90 days from exercise date.

Apologies that I got that wrong. I’ve read so many times that you can’t move shares unless from another ISA.

1 Like

Great thanks. I was aware it’s allowable, my question was more whether freetrade can do it and if so the mechanics of how i go about instructing it. So be very interested @acamp to hear what they/ you come back with. Thanks very much for checking

1 Like

Interesting one, indeed, I wish I knew this 18 months ago.
This will teach me to not trust random people’s advice without verifying it :cry:

It’ll be great if you can because I’ll also be doing this sometime in the future

To be fair it’s a very specific use case, your company should have made this clear on their investor portal what your options were

I made a request in early 2023 to do the same transfer albeit from a Share Incentive Plan but the response I received from Freetrade was that they were unable to support this.

Not sure why they couldn’t do this as I have managed to do this with AJ Bell on multiple occasions in the past - all I needed to provide was a Letter of Appropriation from the share scheme to show that the shares were from a HMRC approved share scheme.

Hey all - just chatting with transfers. It looks like we should be able to do this. Just taking a look at the forms and such that are required to make sure everything is in order. Give us a couple of days and we’ll let you know!

3 Likes

Great news, thanks

Also interested in this one. Be great if its possible.

Think this is where i am on this. Seems it is allowable as far as hmrc are concerned but awaiting to see if/ how it can be done at freetrade. Shame if it can’t be done when the capital gain allowance is reducing so much and consequently the option of moving the sharesave scheme shares into an isa within the 90 90 days will become much more of a common request.

Sadly ‘Ellen’ thru the app chat has just told me it is not possible to transfer shares that originated from a sharesave scheme into a freeshare stocks and shares isa …it’s just a no go… whatever is said in here it’s not possible :frowning:

Hi @natec

The team needs to go through the processes required to support this and get the right approvals internally before they proceed. They’re working on all of that now :grinning:

Give us a few weeks.

Best
Alex

3 Likes

When i tried to transfer my computershare shares to freetrade back end of 2021 it was a no

Your current provider have let us know that your current holding is certificated.
Unfortunately we do not facilitate the dematerialisation of certificated holdings, so will not be able to progress this request further at this time.

Have messaged separately yesterday, without realising this forum post existed, as I need to transfer shares from a company share scheme also.

Hoping you can do this…and ideally before the end of the tax year!!

Hi @acamp, thanks for continuing to look into this. Wondered,
what are your thoughts on the chance of being able to do this for the 2023/24 tax year?

Hi @natec

Let me check where the team is at.

Best
Alex

Fantastic thank you… fingers crossed