UK to require all new homes to include EV chargers!

Thereā€™s also Greencoat Wind on Freetrade which have stakes in most of the windfarms around the UK with more under construction and many more in planning permission, they also have a nice dividend that goes up with inflation, which I just received last week along with Octopus Renewables dividend pay-outs.

Clearly windfarms are going to play a big part in the near future with more and more electrical devices in our homes and people buying EVā€™s,ā€¦ I bought my Greencoat shares at Ā£126.40p, today there around Ā£140.84 according to google finance, though cnbc.com records them at Ā£141.00.

We could do with more EV and Cyber Security and Crypto on Freetrade, Iā€™m feeling positive more will arrive, sooner than later, I Hope!!!

3 Likes

Overnight car chargingā€¦ where? Not at the shops as youā€™re not allowed to park there over night or more than 4 hours in many cases.

At home

Thereā€™s no driveway at my home

Bummer, wouldnā€™t work for you then!

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no petrol pump at your home either. Deal with it. Adapt. Itā€™s what make our species so resilient.

Charging speeds are getting faster, battery capacities are getting larger. No one needs to be plugged into a power socket for every second the car is still.

The charging network and EVs are ā€˜chicken and eggingā€™. As adoption of EVs increase, the network will grow. Itā€™s an exciting time. Weā€™re in the early days of the revolution/transition. You managed without a petrol pump at home and those of us without driveways will manage without ā€˜an electricity pumpā€™ at home too.

7 Likes

Missing my point there? It leaves me with only one option which is driving to the stops and paying more expensive prices for electric, hoping that the chargers work and are available because thereā€™s often no way of knowing before hand.

We shouldnā€™t ignore the fact that if youā€™ve got a drive way your at a huge advantage. Houses and roads arenā€™t built for EVs and people seem to really have a blind spot to the fact that huge swaths of the UK have no real ability to have local charging never mind on street charging.

I wouldnā€™t care if it wasnā€™t for the fact that the government are forcing everyone onto EVs but leaving everything else as the Wild West.

No, you just donā€™t have a valid point. I can see youā€™re worried and people have tried to ease your fears and help you with the transition but this is no time to be King Canute. You can still buy a brand new combustion engined car up until they stop selling them in 2030, you have plenty of time. No one is forcing everyone to have an EV this year, this decade or even next decade. Itā€™s a transition.

The current state of rapid charging infrastructure is not the final state of the infrastructure, just as there werenā€™t thousands of petrol stations when the first combustion cars hit the roads.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve no doubt itā€™ll improve but this is the government weā€™re taking about and Iā€™ve no doubt weā€™ll see people left behind and forgotten. Donā€™t get me wrong I like the idea of EVs and love the improvements that have been happening and we do have 9 more years to goā€¦ maybe EV companies will work together, Iā€™m not hugely confident they will. But when the government mandates things they tend to do so without thinking. Weā€™re going to see situations where people are just screwed without infrastructure changes.

I drive a 7 year old Diesel car and itā€™s still a beautiful drive, I expect it to last at least about 8 years minimum. I could buy a brand new ICE car in 2029 and feel confident of it lasting in the the 2040ā€™s but youā€™ll see petrol getting harder to buy and itā€™ll soon be easier to adopt street / workplace / home / retail charging.

6 Likes

I am not sure the Leaf did much more than that from new :slight_smile:
Joking aside there are sub Ā£10k small electric cars about to hit the UK.
I lease an ENero and think there will be a load of second hand ones on the market next year. Great car.
And great news on the wall chargers. About time. I bet solar on the same houses will be pushed so the grid can cope.

2 Likes

I am really intrigued by this comment ā€¦ because it is very easy to get charging points installed at peopleā€™s homes now-a-days [I mean houses, even terraced ones but not flats etc]. Many of the EV car manufacturers provide this service as an add on, at least three electricity boards will do it and even the RAC will get it done for you.

So yours must be a pretty special situation.

Itā€™s a rural tourist business location. Huge car park, but 66% of all visitors is during the 6 weeks of summer.

Most contractors / suppliers want a constant stream of users, thatā€™s the problem.

2 Likes

I still donā€™t get it. There is something else going on here. Suppliers to domestic location put in a charging point. Thatā€™s the end of it and their relationship with you (unless you go for a maintenance contract ā€¦ but that, in any case, can be with someone else). I am not sure why a business supply, even a rural one, would be different unless of course if there is no electricity in the first place that is another story.

Lol, if you knew the location the youā€™d know that electricity supply is not the issue. (Our location has a guaranteed supply, due to government / MOD reasons, and if one power plant goes down our supply switches to another one).

The problem lies in who pays for the installation. We have no intention of paying any money for installation, and would prefer a contractor to fund it and take all the profit apart from a small site rental fee.

Are you saying you host your website in-house, like on a physical machine at your location on a <10mb connection like itā€™s 1995 or something, or did I completely misunderstand that?

1 Like

Ah Ok. That is your issue. It is not really that suppliers run away from an installation. What you really want is that some company installs, at its own risk, and operates a charging point near/close (or perhaps even at) your business or locality which has tourist pull.

I see no reason for any operator to want to do this without a substantial premium on the cost of the electricity provided.

We actually has several companies contact us unsolicited about putting in charging points at their cost offering us a 'location rental fee". Citing their wish to be in a major local tourist attraction. That is until they discovered that the tourism is seasonal.

The wrong Sussex for me but great news that these are being rolled out. Local authorities should set up a public private partnership to install these and generate revenue for tax payers