What is going on today? - Megathread

That is why I have been so sceptical of stocks like Tesla in the past. Even if they do grow into the most successful car company in the world that was already in the price. where can they go from there?

However, mature stable companies are worth investing in if they continue to earn profits. Consider energy companies etc. they are long established companies that aren’t going to experience explosive growth any time soon, but they make huge profits and return a chunk of that to shareholders as dividends

2 Likes

P/E isn’t really about growth (PEG is).

What @Dave really means is that high P/E can be used as a proxy for “growth” stocks (P is high because that E is expected to go up). Look up AMZN’s P/E to understand this. There is a perceived upside and that is why the P/E is large (caveats in place here, ‘hi’ and ‘low’ are sector based). You are not mistaken in your understanding: that P/E slides to “market norm” as the (perceived) growth in earnings diminishes.

Also see

A “pop” article that is easily digestible and opens various doors to explore:

3 Likes

I prefer to go xsps just now tbh

SP500 officially in :bear: bear market territory

Edit: SP500 closed just outside bear :teddy_bear: market territory. It was in intraday…

1 Like

This bear :bear: can run fast too! Fastest bear market since 1946.

2 Likes

I had an idea at the time that the looming end of tax year could of helped the rise we saw in the value of stocks. So I didn’t invest in the last half of the month of march.

It was a cunning plan me Lord

Has it worked serf?

Happy Saturday :rofl: :poop:
The stock market crash has only just begun
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/05/21/stock-market-crash-has-just-begun/

Nah, it began a while ago. One or two people (journalists) have only just realised that they have a new topic to make copy deadlines.

The clever money has largely already moved.

2 Likes

In which case it’s partially/largely priced in?

No. Because (a) the clever money hasn’t predicted what is going to happen to that degree - a whiff was all that was needed to begin to move. (b) the herd is still moving.

A rout can take take a long time - go back to 2000 to see how long many of the then stars took to fall to their low points ( I don’t remember the details but then it was about 2.5 years).

3 Likes

But by moving they’ve changed the price no?

Yes, they have changed the valuations (price) … but I guess I interpreted your previous message to mean the final low has been priced in (which it hasn’t).

No I agree in that. But maybe the main ‘damage’ has been priced in already?

(That’s my wishful thinking btw. :grinning:)

1 Like

May your wishes come true, my friend.

1 Like

Just started out investing only small at the minute but love to hear a few tips on how to get started

Just started out investing an tips on good stocks to invest in right now am also like you looking for the long term investments

getting ready for the rally, up we go :heart_eyes:
hope everyone brought the dip :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is excellent news really hope this helps the market take off :rocket: :chart_with_upwards_trend::moneybag: