What is going on today? - Megathread

Nationalising the North Sea wouldnā€™t solve that problem.

France only nationalised EDF because they already owned +80%

I thought I had wiped that slip from memory, but no, you had to go remind me of it again :sob: :see_no_evil:

Will the market bounce on the news that Bo Jo has gone?

Bad ideas donā€™t stop politicians from doing silly things!

With all the kerfuffle today the market took it quite well :grin:
PM should resign every day

1 Like

Heā€™s not gone though, is he?

Heā€™s given a vague promise to go in the future when they replace him.
Not exactly the certainty markets want.

2 Likes

Indeed, and with no major policy announcements, means things could be more uncertain for the next few months. A good possibility that any gains in the UK markets from today will evaporate fairly quickly.

UN had to delete a tweet of their article that basically said that starvation gives African children a good work ethic

:joy:

1 Like

Now thatā€™s one Iā€™d like to see :joy::joy: Poor social media manager!

1 Like

3 Likes

I do feel a little for the person who said that. I can imagine that they stated what the cold hard fact was (that hungry people are the most productive) without considering how awful it sounded in a PR context. Unfortunately, as a Company Secretary with pretty much no knowledge of diplomacy or marketing, Iā€™m exactly the kind of person who occasionally puts my foot in it in that kind of wayā€¦

1 Like

I think itā€™s due to the cynical nature. People are productive for many reasons. But this isnā€™t a nobody, itā€™s the United nationsā€¦

They actually tried to pass it off as satire in twitter, allegedly.

edit: also, a starving person isnt productive, so i cant say i agree that its a cold hard fact 100% of the time @1anrs

1 Like

JPMā€™s 3Q22 Guide To The Markets is out

2 Likes

ā€œHungryā€ as opposed to ā€œstarvingā€ I think, but I generally agree it wasnā€™t a good statement to make publicly.

Starving people are fairly ā€˜unproductiveā€™ forgive the chewy boring video below, it comes from Professor Mr Beast Esq. He tried not to eat for 30 days ā€¦ itā€™s not easy.

Weird I never watch popular YouTube stuff, but I did watch that video a couple of days ago

1 Like
4 Likes

Oooh, is that hope I see on the horizon? :pray:

1 Like

Like with recession, needs more than one point to be meaningful.

This might just be including the increased fuel/food costs as ā€˜new spendingā€™ when energy direct debits went up unexpectedly, and people hadnā€™t realised food did the dame

2 Likes