What is going on today? - Megathread

Good point. But on the market, the point is that LSE stocks werenā€™t swayed by the UK ā€˜budgetā€™. It gives you an indication of how much of a gamble the ā€˜budgetā€™ is. I can assure you the markets donā€™t hang around digesting these things.

The significant thing at the moment, and majorly so, is the strengthening dollar (which is the real point of what @dk1 and I am saying).

4 Likes

I see I actully did think that after seeing articals and didnā€™t know if it was shares included, thanks for letting me know.

By sheer human instinct, lets say US inflation steadily drops over 2 years and the UKā€™s inflation rate (& western Europeā€™s) actually stays persistently high due to wage pressures going up. That makes for a challenging 5-10 year period. The US average/above average person will typically be okay, though UK & western Europe could have a tough time absorbing persistent inflation and currency depreciation.

D i v e r s i f y & S o l i d A s s e t s

1 Like

Inverse the s&p and join the dark side.

Also yeah, diversify. I like a house but precious metals from her late majesty isnā€™t taxed and doesnā€™t have an upkeep cost and you can stash it.

Maybe Iā€™m thinking like Iā€™m from China and want out but isnā€™t that the point in storing wealth?

1 Like

Foreign portfolio currency exchange unhedged going up because of tanking GBP. Not the kind of growth I want. But heyā€¦

1 Like

Not only in terms of share price. You will also see some FTSE100 companies showing stronger revenue growth because their earning are in dollars/euros and then restated in pounds. [Yes the pound is falling against the Euro too i.e. 1.19 in early August to 1.12 today]

Not a bad current insight, in that order.

[1st] Global Infrastructure fund with a strong top10 - Been a great place this year to store wealth for the LONG TERM (5+ years, 15+ years ideally)

[2nd] Highest interest savings account - Easy access to 6 month lock up.

[3rd] TLT high quality 20-30 year bonds - Looking appealing once lows kick in maybe Q1 2023

[4th] Growth & Income stock funds - Q4 2023

well Iā€™m thinking, things cant get any worse

3 Likes

We have had (and have) a very weak self-obsessed government & entourage persuaded into the US way of economics, without actually implementing strategies which will benefit the country from those economics whilst being fair & great for the UKā€™s working people. Whilst also desperately trying to cling-onto ā€˜traditionā€™ though without letting the majority actually peak into this privileged way of life of tradition.

So what is actually happening live, is the country is falling apart whilst they are still on the top deck holding onto the last pieces of what tradition they have, without a care at all for the people falling into the cracks who are actually honestly supporting the country.

With a weak government & entourage there are far too many backpacking off-of the UKā€™s working people. When these ā€˜elitesā€™ should have been working equal toughness to keep the country on a steady upward projection creating higher quality careers for 100ā€™s of thousands more UK people. Instead they have been disgustingly wrecking the environment for the many, by feasting greedily & enviously.

When UK people wake up, they WANT to work to provide a consistent fair growth economy, so why on earth are the UKā€™s people becoming poorer, less to zero asset affordability, ridiculously poorer pension benefits, terrible job progression, disgustingly unfair school system, 50/50 healthcare system being great or pretty poorā€¦

Every 6 months there seems to be more reason to have to take another portion of your wellbeing into your own hands, because the healthcare, the insurance, the pensions, the price rises, all seem to be attacking you at all directions, with no fair truths being spoken to the public from the ā€˜allowed to speakā€™ leaders.

Yet, with the growing amount of rules & fiercely draconian measures being placed on the public, you can not come to any other conclusion apart from 98% of your rights are being taken away which will leave you a less than 2% chance of being able to succeed any irrational system put in place, further pushing the already wealthy or already land/asset owners wealth beyond any comprehension, in other words, the already ridiculous is now growing so far fetched from possibility, that is has basically become impossible to succeed the leaders or historical elite. They bent every rule under the sun and had highly and easily manipulatable laws with no consequences to gain their position in the country, the word most ideal for this situation is they frikken stole their right to enormous wealth. Something only now people like the Kardashians have been aiming for. The tech boom has just created a giant pool of new generational wealth for those involved, piggy-backed on by the leeching aristocrats. No doubt the next boom is in personalised healthcare, though affordability in this decade is questionable.

The fact stands, that the UK government and their egoā€™s have wrecked the economy. No bold moves have been made and zero levelling up has happened. This is a multi-decade fuck up.

9 Likes

Havenā€™t seen anything yet!

At least itā€™s the weekend!

1 Like

Such a dismal and depressing picture painted of this country yet so many people want to come to live here still because itā€™s actually not that bad compared to some other countries.

The mini budget is worrying - how will all those cuts be paid for? But all I can focus on is that Iā€™ll have more money to invest due to the reduced NI.

1 Like

Youā€™ll get 1.25% back on some of your income, but your entire income is worth 2%-3.5% less than it was yesterday.

ā€¦brilliant! :thinking:

4 Likes

How so? Not being argumentative, I obviously havenā€™t done the sums and must be missing something?

My energy company has told me that my direct debit in October will be Ā£45 less than what I paid in Sept, so more to go towards my investments.

It feels like Iā€™m winning, but Iā€™m not really celebrating.

Less in value against the dollar? Doesnā€™t really come into play for 99.99% of people that work and live in the Uk does it not?

1 Like

Not planning to eat/ use energy in the coming months?

What ā€˜savingsā€™ that ni removal is (and it only came in in April, so itā€™s not likes had too great shakes currently) is entirely offset by the huge increases in food/energy/everything else.

At the same your Ā£ is devaluing against the dollar.
And what are most things traded against? As we import a lot of thingsā€¦ Oh thatā€™s right the dollar.

This is a knife edge that could potentially overflow into a hyperinflation situation.

4 Likes

Things do not seem ā€˜tooā€™ bad if you are not really doing much, but when you step outside and try make something happen or put huge effort into overtime and upping your game, you quickly realise you just spent Ā£1500 in a frikken week.

Life is awesome and especially floating about in the uk countryside and strolling through the Cotswolds and riding bikes through the New Forest and all that, but seriously, try physically going into hyper mode and creating something or purchasing something large like a property and still manage to have funds around to grow your business or pursue work which involves travel, youā€™ll immediately realise youā€™ve just spent Ā£10,000 in 3 months ONLY on expenses.

UK government has screwed over the working population.

2 Likes

This new government is arguably the worst weve had for the economy and theyā€™ve only been at it for a few weeks. What they are doing is reckless and goes against pretty much any economic logic. Its crazy to think they genuinely believes that people are going to spend this releif whilst inflation is still around double digits. The Bank of England are also raising rates so that pretty much encourages people to save. The one thing the tories had going for them was that they were fiscally responsible, this is now over.

8 Likes

Energy increase covered by the government discount it seems and am having to shop/cook smarter to make my pound go further but itā€™s doable.

Yes, itā€™s bad, worse for some but not too bad for others.

And no, am not rich or wealthy - average basic tax rate payer with mortgage, with a bit spare to invest each month, although this ā€˜spareā€™ could be in doubt if there was a real dire situation like hyperinflation.

I see what you mean now, the ā€˜workā€™ youā€™re referring to is more of the self-employed/entrepreneur type stuff which needs personal initial outlay/capital.

Iā€™m not really doing much, just a 9-5 office job (not even office now that I can wfh). I sometimes do overtime but donā€™t get paid for it.

I guess Iā€™m in a bit of a bubble as all my friends, family and the circle of people I know are all in similar jobs, so thatā€™s the working population that comes to my mind first.

1 Like