What is going on today? - Megathread

I’m thinking it can haha

I find this such an odd argument.

It’s basically like going “Sure everything is going to shit but there are still some places where it’s even worse so :man_shrugging:

Why should we put up with poor government and rapidly declining quality of life just because it “could be worse”.

(Except in situation where we are making targeted sacrifices for political / social well-being reasons etc, but that’s complex to get into and really not the case here imo)

4 Likes

Well the bankers and the rich will now save us by spending more in the econemy

1 Like

You don’t have to put up with it but I choose to do so. All i can do is vote when the time comes, whatever good that will do.

The ‘it could be worse’ is a mindset so I don’t end up spiralling into despair and feel sorry for myself, I always tend to look on the bright side of life and all that. Not saying that’s what people should do, it’s just what i do.

6 Likes

It’s expensive. £1k+ for a sofa, £1k for grass laid, £500+ for a monitor. Setting up your office and need a chair that won’t break your back? £500 please.

At the same time people still seem to have the attitude that they can just sit in the same job year after year and expect things will work out. That’s been false for a while now. You can’t stay in the same company and expect to go anywhere anymore.

On top of that I expect we’re exiting the insta buy generation. This idea that people can just buy anything they want on short term credit and be fine and have instant gratification was never a good idea. People might have to make do with plastic chairs like the ‘good old days’ until they save up for things

3 Likes

Imports.

Down against the euro and the dollar.

Commodities and fuel are priced in dollars. That pushes prices up for pretty much everything for people in the UK.

For those of us with global investments mainly denominated in USD the current exchange rate is a much needed boost. Shielded me from a lot of the drop ( so far ).

5 Likes

More expensive to buy. But if you have them already then :man_dancing:.

Also FTSE companies with earnings in dollars and Euros will be looking at better revenue figures stated in pounds

4 Likes

I completely agree. For all of my life I’ve always had the ‘it could be worse’ mindset, and that no matter how difficult things may get for me, there will always be people in a much worse situation who would give everything to be in my shoes.

2 Likes

VUSA, VWRL, EQQQ all up yesterday.

IWDG ( hedged ) down 17% last 12 months, VWRL / VUSA ( unhedged ) down 4% / up 4% .

3 Likes

I suppose the hope (if hope is allowed in investing) is that the ‘budget’ was announced early enough in the day for the UK markets to give their full response by the end of the trading day, and that most of the damage is already done.

That said, for the first time, I’ve set stop losses on ALL my individual shares (which I’m sure someone is going to say is the sensible thing to do regardless of circumstances). Hopefully they won’t be triggered.

By the way, whatever happened to the predicted post pandemic boom?

The boom decided to do a reverse boom instead

Do you mean a moob? Of which, at my advance age, I now have two??

1 Like

If you’re not called USD you’ve had a pretty terrible few months.

1 Like

So what’s the thinking for Monday? Panic over - most damage already done (for now)?

Or fingers poised over the sell buttons at 7.59 a.m.?

1 Like

16 Likes

I think there may be some more currency action on Monday morning and going forward certainly for the short term. I sold out of all my individual Uk shares and switched those funds fully into global ETFs. Bit sad really but I want to keep investing and sleep at night.

4 Likes

Fair comment. Things certainly look interesting going forward! :grimacing:

Good luck.

1 Like

US pre market looking pretty flat… I think it’ll be a red start across the board.

I’m just holding and not buying anymore US stocks for the time being, but have buy orders on L&G & some dividend ETFs.

2 Likes