What is going on today? - Megathread

Truss gone

4 Likes

At this rate it will be my turn to be Prime Ministerā€¦

6 Likes

I saw the betting odds this morning & it was looking bleakā€¦ Glad she went prior to her pushā€¦ Id like to see Sunak next.

2 Likes

@CashCow did you some how managed to invest in the Conservative Party?

12 Likes

Probably secretly their largest donor.

2 Likes

Absolutely not, theyā€™re well outside of my ethical boundaries. Iā€™d be more likely to invest in an Iranian drone company. Hopefully that underlines how I feel about them.

Anyway, check in on the lettuce! Sheā€™s currently having a massive party and due to speak to the nation at 18:00.

PS. Thank you @NeilB for paying respect to my very particular set of skills!

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Removed Posts 23.10.2022

God no. Last thing we need is another knave.

Sunak or Mordaunt.

2 Likes

Please not Sunak.

Just shows how people have differing views and opinions.

A General Election is needed so the people can choose rather than another non elected Prime Minister.

9 Likes

We never elect our Prime Minister - no matter whether we think we are ā€˜de factoā€™ doing it or not. It is not our flavour of system of parliamentary government. Whether that is good or bad is a separate issue.

5 Likes

I think you know what I meant. I am aware that a PM is appointed, pulling this up is just semantics under any other name.

3 Likes

With respect, I donā€™t consider it semantics. I have heard that argument about PM many times ā€¦ and more often than not it is literal. I really no longer know when someone is being literal or not because I am no longer surprised by what people donā€™t know about our system of government.

2 Likes

The parliamentary and electoral systems have been broken for some time. Situations like the current one only go to demonstrate how anachronistic it is and how it needs updating.

Labour has committed to PR and thatā€™s a step in the right direction. I think there is easily enough evidence that a limit to the number of PMs one party can have without a general election would be wise.

If politics is to work the governed needs to work in collaboration with the government. A British constitution would be a good place to start.

5 Likes

Thank you, fascinating read that. Russell Napier is chairman of MWY, one my core holdings. He was on the Investorsā€™ Chronicle podcast a few months ago:

1 Like

Shouldā€™ve been Sunak in the first place.

3 Likes

The party and the MPs donā€™t agree, if they did Rishi would have become PM last time around.

If ā€˜theyā€™ think the public will stand by and let them put this liar and charlatan back in the big chair after 6 weeks on the naughty step theyā€™re more out of touch than I expect. There will be people in the streets.

4 Likes

This is very funny :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Thats so funny. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

They donā€™t have to agree with me, itā€™s just my opinion.

Heā€™s proved time and time again he knows what heā€™s talking about. Recent example of when he publicly told Truss her tax cuts wouldnā€™t work and that thereā€™d be carnage.

She ignored him, and did it anyway. And now look at the mess weā€™re in.

As for Boris, itā€™s a ludicrous idea it has even been suggested. At the beginning, yeah maybe he showed promise and did the right things, but he got too comfortable and it will be even tougher for him to restore the trust in not just the party, but in himself.

3 Likes