What is going on today? - Megathread

I think you have that wrong. You could sell and buy back in the same financial year and avoid capital gains tax. You saw your broker who would contact the market maker and he would charge a fixed price (£5?) to buy the shares off you and sell them back at the same price (no spread). The broker charged one fee not two.

Freetrade produced some graphics:

13 Likes

Thanks very much for sharing, lays it out very understandably.

At least the silver lining is that my ISA will start actually making real sense since I’m not yet at £2,000 pa dividends.

3 Likes

just goes to show the UK is screwed, theres no point in trying to invest and grow your wealth here.

US and China markets have so much more potential.

3 Likes

As an aside, China? Really?

Apologies if already read but i have edited multiple times, so i think should move it to the bottom.

There is a 12% bond on primary bid.
5 years to Redemption.
Minimum £2,000
Bonds are again covered by £5,000 starter savings tax allowance.

Didn’t pay dividends during COVID for 18months.
Lends short term loans mostly consumer. In large parts of Europe. Eastern in particular.
Paid the existing bonds throughout COVID.
Debt gets paid before dividends.
Thinking about this one as away of investing in shares. Use the large coupon to reinvest.
Bonds are on the secondary market easy to sell on but on big spread.
If inflation goes down possiblity of decent profit, despite the spread.
Primary bid is run by London stock market.
The minimum purchase is £2,000 but there is no guarantee you will get that much. You could end up with much less. At least thats what happens with shares.
Today it shows there is 18 days before the offer ends.
If i decide to buy i will wait till near the end date as it doesn’t say they will finish early if they have sufficient money (hence the high possibility of an early close if they did).
They take your money at the point where you accept the offer and refund the difference if you dont get all you wanted.
They also ask if you are already a shareholder i assume they will give more or only to shareholders if over subscribed. I’m not but i will say i am as they dont appear to be asking for proof.
If i decide to buy i will go for £3,000 on the assumption that i will get less.
I assume that i can’t put them into the freetrade platform. As i still have a Hargreaves Lansdown GIA. I will put them in there.

Good luck to investors in Chinese stocks

some have gone uptoday which is a shock

5 Likes

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/11/first-direct-regular-saver-interest-rate-doubled/

7%

Sounded good, until you read the restrictive terms. But definitely seeing quite good rates across the board now so things are looking up for savers.

USA jobs report 250k hot as hell. Rates higher. Expect strong $, weak £

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Feature Request] Second graph option

You really can’t make this up. Diabolical.

1 Like

Check out $MMAT. Finra stepped in to prevent short squeeze or so it seems. Retail big losses again

1 Like

Sorry if it’s the wrong page, but I’m having a nightmare and clinging on for dear life onn most of my shares,
What happens when I have no money left in the current value :thinking: does it just go to minus or get deleted, many thanks in advance.

A lot of us are in the same boat, you’ll go minus, you still own the shares, that doesn’t change, just their value. Over time they will likely recover, just need to be patient.

I think you are referring to the gain/loss Emmie, the current value can’t go below £0.

1 Like

Well, unless you hold ARGO :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Something popping today