What is going on today? - Megathread

Pretty eye opening words.

ā€œbuy my bagsā€

1 Like

Haha, that might have saved you a few quid though. There is often lots of volatility in the opening and closing hours of the market.

3 Likes

And now here comes the biggest rally for 2023.

You miss the top days in the market your returns can be cut in half.

This weeks changed the trajectory of the next 5-10 years dramatically.

There is a floor and that floor is here give or take 400 points, according to the central banks.

healthcare in UK is broken, NHS is a white elephant, billion$ spent without any accountability, must be privatised and let people chose what they wanted.

1 Like

Disagree completely.

11 Likes

If the NHS gets privatised, I will move out of the country. I donā€™t want to live in a new version of the US.

8 Likes

Lets not go down the NHS discussion route :shushing_face: it aint worth it

9 Likes

While I get your issue with the US system (im not a huge fan of it as well), people need to stop going to the US as the example of the pinnacle of health systems. There are plenty of privatised or mixed healthcare systems out in the world that work well.

I donā€™t think going to a purely monopoly insurance based system like the US has is workable, or a privatised NHS. But we do need to reform the NHS, we probably do need to restructure how things are charged.

right now you have people who pay very little and get a really bad service, and you have people who pay more for the NHS than private health careā€¦ and get a really bad service.

A broken NHS puts people out of work short and long term, which affects productivity, which affects business profits, which affects my dividends :moneybag:

6 Likes

Agreed, the NHS needs restructuring. But it becoming private (or at least fully private) is a huge mistake long term.

5 Likes

Will the NHS going private make my portfolio go green if so Iā€™m in, else itā€™s a nae from me.

1 Like

Janet Yellen called John Thomas and asked him what needs to be done to calm the markets regarding the financial aspect of the banking sector and he told her and they done it.

This move shows the bottom is in. The US will do anything needed to save the banks and has just proved what the limit is they are going to accept and act before the disaster.

Huge turn around of events.

Everythingā€™s changed now. The market is comfortably investable as if this is 2009.

Inflation is the threat which means get buying, equity, property, gold, silver. Any or all.

Whatā€™s just happened is large. The west is moving on from this bottom, the central banks will print through all crisisā€™.

This is now a risk on environment. Huge trajectory change from what was about to happen.

We all saw the fed and BoE about to raise until carnage but we just teetered on the edge of carnage and thatā€™s as far as they can push, inflation is here to stay now which makes cash the only real clear definite risk. The devaluation of cash is not stoppable for the foreseeable and wage increases are going to be demanded hand over foot multiple times and prices will continue to rise until we form the next bubble of farrr too high prices in relation to asset & equity growth.

I actually thought his time theyā€™d let things fail but they are not going to let even 50% of a 2008 event happen. Theyā€™ve just proven this.

Fed 10% minimum.

Shadow banking is the target.

Tectonic plates are shifting. Money printer not coming back in any massive way for a long time.

Maybe a few bail ins for depositers (obviously), but unsecured bond holders and shareholders gonna get burned.

You canā€™t build infrastructure with an inflating/volatile reserve currency. You canā€™t even price it.

If you donā€™t regain control over inflation, youā€™ll slowly lose reserve currency status. Deflation, as far as I know, has never lost the reserve, only inflation because the incentives are too lucrative for humans to abuse.

Once inflation goes away, then liquidity comes in and responsibly.

Who thought legard was gonna bend today?

Also, itā€™s yellen vrs jpow

1 Like

The fed havenā€™t got the balls to continue with attacking inflation. Believe me that would take some expert level balls to raise from here and this is not the movies.

We all know interest rates in the UK should be at 7% to fight the inflation weā€™ve been having and thatā€™s guaranteed not to happen now itā€™s absolutely guaranteed. The bottom is in for the west.

UKā€™s inflation is horrific imo (Iā€™m priced out on peanut butter, alternative milks and salmon). US inflation is not nearly as bad probably due to such a wide landscape of different economic factors.

This is about as good a opportunity to get invested into that wish list. Inflation is not going to disappear and even if it comes down next year it will show itā€™s face more than once.

I wonder if Buffet swooped on an investment this week?

1 Like

Buffet bought more oxi for supply chain reasons but itā€™s still pocket change for him right now.

Iā€™m still on GME of course.

But jpow is gonna drag everyone there. Wait and seeeeeeee

50bps call

Btw anyone down on the energy plays? Oil to ten. Goldman Sachs have bags to unload.

1 Like

25bps is my guess or even a temporary pause. Hard to believe JPow would take the risk by adding more pressure in the financial system.

1 Like

I feel you. -7.5k in the last week, -10k in the last month. This week has been brutal. :upside_down_face: Oh well, at least itā€™s the weekend.

2 Likes

Good compilation of important topics from past week:

rip ubs and the swiss gov.

those bags are massive.

Looks like this circus isnā€™t leaving town just yet.

2 Likes