What is going on today? - Megathread

A good friend of mine, who was also a successful investor used to say: think of it as tuition fee :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of scaremongering from newspapers this week looking for clicks, who are guessing at what the roadmap might be. I think we’ll see a bounce from stocks affected by Covid once the announcement is made - unless we really are looking at a slow reopening. That could cause more losses in the short term.

1 Like

An opportunity to buy the dips ! It’s only a loss on paper (unless you sell at a loss)

3 Likes

I’ve had investments since the beginning of the year, most are now running at a loss, apart from Tesla but that has gone from around 20% uo to only 3% up.

It happens. Just gotta ride it out, and do a bit of shopping for those bargains haha.

3 Likes

Nope, you’ve got that one wrong. The santa rally is definitely a thing - normally due to market makers going onto autopilot. Also your comment about payday being priced in makes zero sense, where is it priced in exactly? Across the whole market?!

I didn’t say that people don’t buy more shares at payday or Xmas, it makes sense that they would.

But it won’t affect the market in a sufficient way that you could benefit from it. Otherwise you would just buy before payday or Xmas and sell right after, and make an easy profit each month

Given that you don’t know which shares people are going to buy, it might just as well be the whole market.

Assuming everyone’s in the green today? :rofl:

1 Like

its one of dem days

1 Like

I can’t help but assume all the boomers and pension funds took all their money and ploughed it into airlines and holiday companies after Boris’ plan.

9 Likes

not sure about you guys but I’ve only had one green day in the last 2 week :frowning:

1 Like

I had some lovely greens this morning as I invested in some companies that would benefit once lockdown is lifted. But now they’re dropping again. Plummeting in some cases like JDW.

1 Like

only just green on YTD…

Most of my positions are long term and it’s my payday today, so I’m going on a shopping spree :shopping_cart:

3 Likes

STONKS ARE SUPPOSED TO ONLY GO UP :laughing:

4 Likes

Greed and market is rattled by Powell’s speech.

GOODBYE 2021 PAPER GAINS

PAPER HANDS :laughing:

VALUE INVESTING LIVES

1 Like

2 Likes

Nope, Last week’s dip, plus yesterday and today has effectively wiped out all my month’s rather small gains anyway.

Even the world ETF, which had me a mighty £3 profit, is now only a 70p profit. Everything else I invested into is earning me a loss, but they’re relatively small losses -1 to -3%, which I do expect to recover when the market stops being a Debbie Downer.

There’s one that has dropped a magnificent 20% though, which is painful, but thankfully I only put £26 in that one. Still almost a £6 loss on that. -_-

Tell you what though… I’ll keep buying, but I’m not looking forward to seeing this sort of thing happen with bigger numbers! I need to get my head to chill out with the -/+'s with these otherwise I’ll never cope! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Here’s one to get you started :sob:

5 Likes

It’s not a great feeling to be honest. I started a week ago and my stocks took off yesterday and I was 110 quid up by 9am this morning. I’m currently sat at -£7. I need to learn to bank profit after stocks increase quickly rather than expecting them to stabilise.

3 Likes

No, that’s the exactly wrong takeaway from this. You need to not sell at all and not try to market time (won’t work), but stay in the market and dollar cost average. Compounding is king.

16 Likes