What is going on today? - Megathread

I’m down £2k in a week, but you just have to see it as a chance to dollar cost average and buy more - providing you believe in your stocks.

10 Likes

5 Likes

I’m down quite a bit like everyone else, but still up overall since I started investing 2 yrs ago.

I do feel bad for the wave of new sign ups who started investing in the last 2-3 weeks and went in balls deep :baseball:

4 Likes

I started again with freetrade this time about week and a half ago and I’m currently down £44 from my 8 positions. 5 etfs and 3 stocks.

3 Likes

Folks, this is just a tiny bump in the road. Don’t panic, you only lose money if you sell at the bottom. Stay cool, do your research, buy quality stocks, don’t jump blindly on a bandwagon or meme, and when there’s a little bit of turbulence… hold… hold… hold… then buy the dip!

16 Likes

That’s a fair point. It’s just not fun when you see your stock go up by about 10% in the space of a couple of days and then fall by the same amount and you’re down because you bought more whilst it was rising or falling. Ideally should sell at a peak and buy back at a dip but I guess it’s impossible to determine when this will be.

2 Likes

Unless you can see the future that would be impossible

2 Likes

Ideally should sell at a peak and buy back at a dip but I guess it’s impossible to determine when this will be.

its about time in the market, not timing the market :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Easy to say that but when you’re new you’re wanting to pick stocks you think will rise and avoid losses. Losses are easier to take when you’re still up overall but that’s difficult at the start.

2 Likes

Can always use the somewhat short time to re-evaluate your risk appetite.

I’ve done that today, changed my targets around a little bit as one of my ETFs is too risky for my liking.

2 Likes

I’m new to the game. Saving for my pension.

I’ll be honest I thought I’ve messed up somehow, but I’m going to hold and buy the dip.

Only, $SLG $ABBV $O $XOM $BAC $MAIN £BHP £KNB
are in green !

1 Like

I thought this was my Freetrade app at first. This looks exactly like mine haha

1 Like

The green energy stocks interest me a lot but now doesn’t look like a good time to go into them. Every day the Global Clean Energy EFT seems to fall.

I’m down from £5.3k to £4k or so in the last week.

But then that started from a £2k investment a year ago so still up 100%.

5 Likes

I wish I had your problems :laughing: down 4% today and a few thousands of dollars on paper. But I hardly sell because i dont have the balls for YOLO stonks

that’s a great lesson to learn earlyy

4 Likes

“Due to excessive margin debt, access to information, online brokers and low commissions, the moves in the markets have become super fast.”

“A decade ago, 20% corrections used to play out over weeks, now they happen in two days!”

“The discounting machine has become more effective.”

3 Likes

who’s Buying at 9.30am eastern? Ive deposited some $$ into my brokers accounts (i Get next business day with a few of them). Bargain hunting

1 Like

Which investment lost 20%? My investments in hydrogen renewables are on -14.50% so far :grimacing:

1 Like

$CLNE, $GEVO, $PLUG, $BLDP, $FCEL, $DM, $NIO