An update on adding thousands of new US stocks 🇺🇸

I disagree. There’s people that would also like to take advance of the current market but are priced out due to cost of american stocks. Two sides to every coin

1 Like

Agree with Johnny. I want to take positions on amazon apple and tesla but don’t have the funds at the moment to plough into full shares and overweight the rest of my portfolio so I’d prefer fractionals.

Freetrade can’t please everyone all of the time and I do get the frustrations at the timescales quoted. “a few weeks” is obviously frustrating to most if it’s used and then used again a month or so later to describe the same time frame. I’d much prefer a “by the end of q2” and then have that time frame smashed if everything falls in to place. Even that though you can’t please everyone if something happens and even that time frame is missed.

3 Likes

shouldn’t this be a no-op at this point? as the list is presumably ready already.

You might as well stop giving updates and pointless teases now. It just makes it look like you think your customers are stupid. Just release stuff when it’s ready rather than meaningless stuff to try to build hype. Has a single public commitment of a few weeks ever been met?

Every app update since January has said things are coming soon but the only new feature in months has been something that’s playing catch up with competitors.

7 Likes

There are technical reasons why this sequence is the most efficient. As we mentioned before, we are already producing the content necessary for the first 250 and we’ll then add subsequently.

I can’t think of a commitment of a few weeks that has not. I don’t know where this comes from.

Ever since we designated the 18th September 2018 for rolling out, we were giving timelines as much as it was possible. A lot of the timelines we give are dimensional - there is a difference between something being a few weeks out vs a feature that will only ship at the end of this year. As engineers know, there are a lot of moving parts in software development, hence the dimensional time frames. The good news is, we fully control our technology platform now, which resulted in relatively fewer features rolled out in the short term, but it’s already paying dividends (no pun intended) and will pay more.

Now that Invest by Freetrade is fully rolled out, we’ll do a roadmap update.

7 Likes

Here the post talks about ‘stocks and ETFs’ which will be added in the next few weeks. Do we have a full list of the ETFs in the update yet?

2 Likes

Thanks for that, appreciate the clarification.

With regards to timelines, I value your honesty and openness around the roadmap, and I’d rather have an open roadmap that may show some slippage, then you hiding behind closed doors. Transparency is key and you seem to believe so as well.

Looking forward to fractionals and additional stocks. I know you can’t commit, but it’d be appreciated if you could keep us informed in the coming weeks - with corona and ISA season everyone is making judgement calls where they wish to put their money, and fractionals and a broader stock universe are deciding factors for many of us.

On and upwards!

2 Likes

The roadmap is very much still there, and it’ll get a revamp, as @Viktor mentions.

Onwards and upwards indeed!

2 Likes

Really? I guess you really do think we’re stupid then.

For example, 31 January you posted that the upgrade the invest would be done in a couple of weeks. On the 8 Feb Sam posted the upgrade would be done “next week”.

The upgrade was announced finished on 28 February.

Version 2.7.9 changelog said fractionals will “arrive in the next few weeks” on 29 January. Version 2.8.5 on 10 March and things are still “just around the corner”.

On 11 February in your blog you wrote instant trades would be available “in the next couple of weeks”. They were available on 4 March.

What is your definition of a few weeks? Or a couple?

Yes, deadlines get missed in software engineering. And if you can’t meet them then that’s exactly why you shouldn’t be misleading customers.

10 Likes

No that quote came from a post Sam made on 8th February. However, it was in reference to the upgrade onto Invest but the point is still valid.

post 191.

When the upgrade happens, which it has now finally for all of us, the post seem to imply that the four features would be rolled out quickly as per Sam’s post.

True, but 90% of the market isn’t even available to us yet

Now we are all on the new platform when will the new stocks be added ?

6 Likes

Sneak peek at the most-requested 100 US stocks which will be in the 250 batch:

1 Virgin Galactic
2 Realty Income
3 Costco
4 NIO
5 Amarin
6 Waste Management
7 Roku
8 Altria
9 Sonos
10 Corning
11 Docusign
12 Skyworks
13 Trade Desk
14 Splunk
15 Brookfield
16 Southern Copper
17 Santander
18 Eventbrite
19 Iron Mountain
20 Jumia
21 ServiceNow
22 CrowdStrike
23 Zynga
24 Target
25 Tapestry
26 Hasbro
27 Philip Morris
28 Albemarle
29 Broadcom
30 Biogen
31 TSMC
32 Farfetch
33 Accenture
34 MercadoLibre
35 Invesco
36 Wynn Resorts
37 Luckin Coffee
38 Harley-Davidson
39 Marvell Technology
40 SolarEdge
41 Liberty Media
42 NextEra
43 Zscaler
44 Peloton
45 Chipotle
46 Stitch Fix
47 Stratasys
48 MoneyGram
49 Alteryx
50 iQiyi
51 MongoDB
52 SMFG
53 Workday
54 Cardinal Health
55 Hilton Worldwide
56 Monster
57 Anaplan
58 Constellation
59 Western Digital
60 Motorola Solutions
61 Frequency Thera.
62 Equinix
63 Xilinx
64 AGNC
65 Cloudera
66 Cirrus Logic
67 CVS Health
68 Restaurant Brands
69 Moody’s
70 Markel
71 Morgan Stanley
72 Shake Shack
73 Church & Dwight
74 Illumina
75 Maxar Technologies
76 Live Nation
77 ScottsMiracle-Gro
78 Tyson Foods
79 Upwork
80 United Technologies
81 Zendesk
82 Bank OZK
83 SmileDirectClub
84 Align Technology
85 BNY Mellon
86 Cummins
87 Danaher
88 Equifax
89 Foot Locker
90 Fastly
91 General Mills
92 GameStop
93 Infosys
94 Intuitive Surgical
95 Invitae
96 Occidental
97 Phillips 66
98 State Street
99 Terraform Power
100 Tencent Music
45 Likes

Yes! I can’t wait!

Is this one still going to happen? :thinking: They have suspended trading since the 7th and currently being raided by the regulatory body in China!

4 Likes

Are you adding them in a batch? And when will they be added?

They are being added after fractionals are fully rolled out so end of May or start of June at the earliest :no_mouth:

NIO!!! I’m excited now :grinning:

1 Like

Surely AMAT made the cut?

I second that. I assume this won’t be added given that they 're essentially done? Defrauded billions.
@Freetrade_Team

1 Like