Expanded free and Plus stock universe šŸ”„ 18 SEPTEMBER 2020

Feel like this needs reposting for clarity

free universe

• FTSE 350
  • FTSE AIM 100
  • MSCI US Prime Market (the 750 largest companies listed on major US exchanges)
  • IPOs, SPACs, and other highly-requested large cap companies

Plus universe

• FTSE All-Share
  • FTSE AIM All-Share
  • S&P SmallCap 600
  • Plus any other highly requested small and micro-cap stocks not included in these indices
5 Likes

Hopefully they will streamline the requests as well so the forum isnā€™t so full of them.

2 Likes

Can I cancel Plus on a monthly basis or is it a yearly subscription? Couldnā€™t find anything on the official freetrade site.

Yes, you can on a monthly plan.

Yearly subscription has not been announced yet.

1 Like

Yes saw this previously, but it doesnā€™t explain why some individual stocks that are currently free are then moving to ā€œplusā€

2 Likes

Would you pay Ā£10pm for what you are currently getting for free as a founding member? If so, why?

You mean would I pay if I did not have free access?

I am investing in large market cap stocks with 2-3 years time horizon. So, free tier would be fine by me currently.

Do I think that the current form is worth Ā£10 per month?

Have shared my thoughts in a separate thread and liked comments that seemed useful. I would wait till the final launch with the full list of features to update if needed. The team takes all the feedback into account. Noticed a reference to live pricing on building freetrade which I donā€™t remember seeing before.

2 Likes

Has anyone signed up to Plus through the app yet ? I canā€™t find the feature to add stop losses or limit orders ?

Thanks, hadnt seen your summary post.

Reading this and other related threads makes my head spin. FT donā€™t have an easy job digesting all the opinions into a growth strategy that suits everyone.

I wonder if this community accurately represents the user base/target market.

2 Likes

Back in June, there were only about 7k on the forum, perhaps a bit more now - How should Freetrade boost the growth of this community?

Compare that to a total of 230k customers, so Iā€™d guess not a very accurate representation.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not directly affected by this (yet), as the stocks Iā€™m invested in are all within the ā€˜freeā€™ tier.

But; I believe all stocks / ETFs should be available within the free tier, and the plus offering should simply offer advanced features, and insights for more serious investors.

Although Iā€™m a recently new investor, this business approach puts me off the premise of Freetrade; being ā€˜freeā€™. Placing existing free features behind a paywall is damaging.

3 Likes

Those are listed here Freetrade Stocks moving to Plus - Google Sheets

It includes the reason they fall under plus.

I think that idea that thatā€™s what free ever meant was a bad move and incorrect. Freetrade has never been free in price, and it was never going to continue the way it has. Itā€™s unsustainable.

The only good thing is that free has more than one meaning so they can always pĆ­vot to the idea of freedom than free in price (the latter being and idiotic premise to base a business on)

1 Like

Never understood why some people are obsessing over the name.

FT is operating under a freemium model where basic features are free and there is a subscription for premium features (plus).

The UK instant trades are free! and US stocks are on the cheaper spectrum of the market (10x cheaper compared to some leading brokers).

In France one the 4 largest Telecom operators is called literally ā€˜Freeā€™. You can Google it. Guess some people will just go crazy if they start paying for telecom services to this provider. Some people buy phones from a company with a fruit in its name. Unbelievable.

There is also a question of giving too much choice to new investors coming on the platform and making them feel lost. This community is skewed towards a more experienced crowd.

The mission is to get everyone investing and even with the current implementation of Plus a new investor will get to chose from more than 1200!! securities not counting any ETF.

If a new investor comes on the platform and gets burned with a small market cap stock will he or she stay in the long term investment game? Both the investor and the platform lose in this case.

Please, launch a business offering all of your services and products for free and keep us posted in 6 months.

The point about existing holders of Plus stocks losing access to increasing their positions is valid and has already been raised.

22 Likes

I donā€™t think this matters as much. You can always help this along with curation. HL does this fine.

I donā€™t really consider it a valid reason for having a premium model. I think making money is a valid reason :smile:

I think because initially free as in free price was the kind of view they were giving off. Which doesnā€™t make sense if there are costs. But Iā€™ve always considered that a bad view to give off and never thought of is as a valid business model.

Both? Why does it need to be one or the other?

I think most retail inventors are like to be buying on an ongoing basis rather than a one off. If youā€™re buying shares once and holding you might be better off with HL and paying just the one dealing charge to buy and the one dealing charge to sell in a few decades.

For long term investors, I feel like this can be interpreted as just a flat fee for trading plus stocks. For long-term investors you can just get plus for 1-4 times a year to buy more of the plus stocks that you want to hold (10-40Ā£ p.a.). This makes it an affordable price as compared to HL etc.

2 Likes

I think its the fact that they have struggled with low volume, low liquidity stocks in the past and with the constant requests for obscure AIM stocks, (eg miners) they donā€™t want to keep ignoring requests but equally canā€™t afford to offer all of them without some more income. If it was as simple as clicking a button, all stocks would be free on all brokers. The few that theyā€™re moving to plus is an issue to be solved but beyond that we could see a huge universe of stocks beyond most basic (freemium) brokers.

Dont forget Viktorā€™s dream of all markets, if they add Europe to free and some asian and more obscure to plus, it will begin to make more sense. All ā€˜ifsā€™ though I realiseā€¦

4 Likes

The Freetrade name carries a lot of weight in this situation actually - particularly because the naming convention speaks directly to value (free) and trading (trade). Comparing this to a brand with an abstract title such as Apple, doesnā€™t particularly have any relevance. Nor is another companiesā€™ use of the word ā€˜Freeā€™ - an excuse to get away with not exercising it.

I appreciate that FT needs paid elements to be a viable business (I currently pay for the Stocks and Shares ISA). But I donā€™t agree with FT taking existing offerings away from the free service, and pay walling them.

5 Likes

Indeed, I am already paying for the ISA (free with some other brokers) so there is a case for leaving the stocks available in the standard plan.

1 Like