[Feature Request 🔧] Portfolio chart design

I suggest a landscape mode for charts. The charts are constrained by space to some degree and so rotating the phone when viewing a chart would be nice to enlarge it.

5 Likes

This, for me is key. It should show your overall profit as a % and amount, taking into account closed positions and what you’ve put in. So basically current value - all cash in from external sources (not dividends) = growth. I’d add a step 8 and 9 to your list to show closed positions and dividend income:

1. You sell investment A at £1800, and buy investment C - your growth remains at 55% (assuming investment C value stays the same).
  2. You are paid £100 in dividends from stock B and your growth is now 60%

I’d rather a chart of % growth personally (as long as it discounts deposits), but am fine with a chart of £ profit or £ value if the other information is available as well - I don’t particularly care about the day’s profit/loss, but do care about overall growth over longer periods of time (as opposed to growth due to cash deposits).

So yes those charts you’ve shown look pretty close to what I’d like to see, as long as the Profit/Loss or Growth is not simply the average growth over current investment (which is I believe what HL shows you), but the actual growth (I’m sure there’s a term for that, I’m afraid I have no idea what it is :sweat_smile:).

yes landscape mode showing you a more detailed chart would be really nice.

5 Likes

That is very wise, I completely missed out on this aspect.

Now we need to make people vote for this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Vlad’s black and white chart there is a vertical blue line which shows you the price and date at that point in time.

The ability to do that would be great (even if it’s just a single line/time selection), similar to what you can do on the MetaTrader apps.

3 Likes

Just started using the app and loving it! One initial thing I noticed…

When viewing a single stock and seeing its history chart and selecting the MAX option I then have no context of how far back the MAX view is representing.

It would be great to show even a basic time axis on the bottom!

4 Likes

Hey James! Thanks for sharing this suggestion :raised_hands:

There’s been some discussion about that sort of improvement here before so I’ve moved your post over, to help keep everything in one place, I hope that’s ok!

1 Like

Portfolio graph has improved since the last update but still a long way to go, hence bumping this topic back to the top.

One other issue I have is that you can never see your real growth. Therefore, I believe there should be two lines going together - one is the angle-ish top up line (example below) and the other one would be the existing pulse line. This will explicitly show how well a user is doing.

I have blatantly stolen a nice PensionBee picture from App Store to give some visualisation:

29 Likes

Definitely would love to see the line of only contributions to the account.

+1
I also think the “price scrolling” is the way to go and could work well for Freetrade given they prefer % on the y-axis.

For instance, Abra (and Pensionbee) have this feature:

Illustrated below (I can pick - i.e. scroll to - any date and it will show the value on that date):

3 Likes

Indeed, scrolling line on the chart seems like a default feature with many brokers, hence no reason for Freetrade not to implement it once all the other key projects are completed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Full Screen Stock Graph in Landscape Mode

This was part of the wider Portfolio Chart Design idea, so you certainly have my :ballot_box:

3 Likes

Hey @mugwort, this is a great suggestion! As @Diversify has noted, it is best to combine chart-related ideas in this topic and keep the votes consolidated. Three votes you got are now here :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you Vlad, I didn’t know suggestions could be posted in pre-existing topics. Doesn’t this mean that individual suggestions cannot be voted on though?

1 Like

Yes it would. Vlad was just following my guidelines but I’ve changed my mind about topics like this - please do post each idea individually (including anything that’s been suggested in the thread) - we need to see how many votes each use case gets, rather than solutions.

So I’ve reopened your topic.

4 Likes

Should have a graph like this.

1 Like

Without a labelled y axis? Seems a bit pointless without that

3 Likes

Overall Portfolio Chart idea (that shows your portfolio value over time)

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Show % return for Portfolio Graph

Sorry to bump this, and maybe I’m used to it, but I think the Nutmeg graphs hit the sweet spot for me:

The axis on the right being £value.

I really want to see current portfolio value against cash added/withdrawn. It’s the difference that shows me visually how well I’m doing.

(I’m also a big fan of subdividing my portfolio into different Pots, but that’s for a different vote!)

17 Likes