Freetrade Roadmap: Reloaded

Well. There are 300 stocks roughly. 10 times 300 is 3000. Ten times more is thus 3000 more, which is by definition ā€˜thousands moreā€™.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t it around 150, not 300?

Thereā€™s 129 :us: & 247 :uk: securities.

382 in total

1 Like

Thanks. So based on the roadmap, 2472 + 12910 is 1,784. Not thousands, but two thousand? Fair enough if so, some more clarify would be helpful though. US wise, there are approximately 6,000 stocks and ETFs listed on NASDAQ and NYSE - how exactly is the new platform going to work in terms of stock coverage expansion and selection? How capable is it to cover all the US stocks? What timeframe? I do believe this is what most of the folks have bought into when Adam mentioned ā€œthousands of stocksā€ in the most recent round.

1 Like

There are approximately 3700 stocks. ETFs are not quite relevant because the majority does not comply with MiFID regulations and cannot be offered within the EU.

Two thousand stocks can effectively be considered as ā€œthousandsā€. My guess is that Freetrade will switch on most large/mid cap and liquid stocks, then expand depending on demand. Also, Adam may have referred to other markets, such as EU, Canada, Switzerland, HK, Japan and others; in fact, European stocks are already on track in the next six months, followed by Asia afterwards. You can access more details here.

There is absolutely no point in offering every single stock for the sake of it if there are additional costs attached, otherwise, it will not be a sustainable commission-free service.

8 Likes

Not sure I agree with the last observation, otherwise these are all valid points if this is also what the company plans for in the first place and what is implied by ā€œthousandsā€. How are US stocks selected though for the roll-out? Liquidity, buzz? Whatā€™s driving it? Thanks.

2 Likes

Can we add ASX/NZX stocks to the long term roadmap???

1 Like

On the ā€œstock insightsā€ card, would you consider partnering with someone like Genuine Impact who are doing some really intriguing work on stock analysis?

In essence, they are trying to create a Bloomberg terminal for the masses and there is such a natural fit with you guys.

I think the Genuine Impactā€™s offering can be replicated - itā€™s nothing new. Iā€™d rather see it inside freetradeā€™s app. And I think Freetrade has better designers anyway.

This may take some time but ainā€™t hard, analysts do this per company covered on a daily basis inside spreadsheets with Bloomberg/Reuters/etc integration.

A lot of this is simple maths and stats with good data viz. Probably a lot of backend data engineering though.

Genuine Impactā€™s community site also looks like barely anyone goes there. In my view, itā€™s just another non-differentiable company trying to dethrone the almighty Bloomberg Terminal, who arenā€™t sitting still.

3 Likes

Itā€™s been posted many times and as recently as yesterday/today. Integrating with Simply Wall St. allows for this. They already integrate with a number of brokers including the big rival across the pond

Edit: Iā€™ve seen you commented on it as well engineer

Since I am not affiliated with Freetrade, I cannot say for sure. But it seems large cap and/or forecasted demand and/or liquidity could be the key factors.

Hopefully, all these guesses will become irrelevant once Freetrade start offering all the key stocks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think having all the stocks from the FTSE 250 and S&P500 as well as all Vanguard ETFs would be sufficient for 90%+ of the investors around.

4 Likes

3,000 US stocks will be added virtually overnight to get us started, and weā€™ll expand from there.

Kind of 10X on the entire size of the current universe. We have to confess we call this 10X because it sounds good.

12 Likes

Youā€™ll like whatā€™s coming in the next few weeks. :wink:

2 Likes

Any sector based ETFs coming? :o Consumer Staples, Tech, Healthcare ideally :smiley:
A non-hedged MSCI World would be good too

3 Likes

Yep, a lot of us want multicurrency accounts but donā€™t assume this is part of the European expansion.

The 3-6 months Freetrade roadmap bucket is super ambitious, very impressive. and I would be over the moon if you could deliver all this by Q1 2020. I guess then SIPP transfers would come In the next delivery cycle.

1 Like

IIRC there was talk of an autopilot tool to perform automated investment of regular funds to selected stocks, or bundles of stocksā€¦

but I cannot see it mentioned on the roadmapā€¦

Has it been dropped?

4 Likes

Not dropped!

Weā€™ve selected products / features to be on the roadmap that are more or less scoped out fully, and with autopilot, we need to do more research and thinking to finalise some of the details and the exact timing. We intend to put it up there once thatā€™s done. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

:ok_hand: Good to know that it has not need dropped, but if there is a commitment to deliver I think you should consider including this in your customer facing roadmap regardless of whether itā€™s fully scoped as it is such a significant feature.

1 Like