J D Wetherspoon plc JDW

The ‘Marmite’ of pubs has almost 900 sites across the UK.

Does anybody know when JDW earnings results are out? Obviously it’s not gonna look good over last 6-8mo but just curious :smiley:

A quick google says their interim results came out on the 19th March. Looks like their next report date is 10th Sept

1 Like

Just been having a read nothing that didn’t surprise me there! With what I could understand anyway :+1:t2:

1 Like

Marmite? More like the Gammon of pubs. I’ll never set foot in one after the misleading propaganda they pumped out through their in store magazine in the run up to 2016.

Needless to say, I hope they don’t do well in the future but they probably will. I’m not sure many people will be as willing as me to punish the brand for its political stance.

3 Likes

Is this you?

2 Likes

Ha ha. I switched from Android to iPhone earlier this year and this is a great reminder to install this app again, thanks!! Always handy when visiting a new place and to show support for an app with a great name!

1 Like

Like them or not probably a safe bet!

Something changed today? Expecting bad news :thinking: unless everybody getting out of them

with pubs being allowed to serve alcohol inside within a couple weeks i can see increased sales for wetherspoons and possibly a rally in price, although with apps like neverspoons becoming more popular and a growing trend to support small businesses wetherspoons may not perform as well as i would like them too, fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I just can’t invest in them for lots of different reasons but mainly who it’s owned by

6 Likes

“Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.”

Samuel Johnson

I hear his personal propaganda magazines have gone even further off the deep end.

Personally, after the outright lies he published in the lead up to the referendum, I wouldn’t step foot in a Wetherspoons if I was dying of thirst but now I hear it’s promoting some sort of vaccine hesitancy angle too?

I don’t understand why the rest of the shareholders haven’t kicked him out. Does he have a controlling stake or something?

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to the bad blood podcast and Scott Galloway recently and his view on a board make sense - be respectful but combative. The board is there to ask difficult questions of the CEO and represent all investors, if you’ve been their of nine years you’re probably too chummy.

3 Likes

Lockdown looks to be coming so sad to see this company do badly

Any news on jdw?

Been low price for good while now

Full year revenue was £807.4m. This is down from £933m when you compare it to before the pandemic. Operating profit came in at £0.5m. Wetherspoons must be feeing the pinch of inflation

The board has not recommended the payment of an interim dividend. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Was never expecting ant dividends from jdw :rofl: don’t know if had them before in past?

This was as my first stock I bought in January 2021,

I would thought if was to go anyway for a cheap pint it would be jdw maybe people has found better alternatives :thinking: