MEGATHREAD: Finnish stocks 🇫🇮

Have you bought a share?

At the bottom it says ‘Venue - CBOE Europe NL’, so it would appear they are routing shares through them and are not connecting directly.

5 Likes

Good spot - I haven’t brought anything as other than Rovio I’m not sure I know any of them.

1 Like

I wonder if the app is going to be updated to add a “Euro” pill to the existing UK and US category pills in the search?

1 Like

Wonder if swiss shares will be available, seeing as they’re out of the EU.

Great idea. I’ve changed mine to Jean Sibelius.

2 Likes

Was Finland Independence Day on Monday too

3 Likes

Hi Jean, I’m Eero. I’m a architect and I have two sets of double vowels in my name :wave:

#FavouriteFinn

2 Likes

In the interest of fairness can a Finnish tax resident join freetrade?

As a consolation, you can search for Finnish stocks by searching for XHEL

2 Likes

Did the Finnish stocks arrive today or yesterday?

SamPta brought them as an early Christmas present today.

1 Like

Glorious. I was a participant on day one of Freetrades Finnish (and European) expansion milestones.

Bought a share of Atkia Bank and interested in Kone also.

5 Likes

How fabulous. Had the pleasure of working for KONE for 10+ years with 4 of those living & starting our family in Helsinki. Some amazing times with an amazing company with amazing people in an amazing country :finland::pray:t3:Kippis :beers::blue_heart::white_heart::sunglasses:

It was craaaaazy to be there and witness the downward spiral of Nokia (HQ next to KONE HQ). They had it in their hand and dropped it badly…

PS hands and feet just about back to having some feeling after the cold. Just about :cold_face::rofl:

8 Likes

Awesome! We have a 1934 KONE lift in our block - looks particularly scary with an old school grinder but so far so good :sweat_smile:

Where did you live in Helsinki?

2 Likes

Edit: I did it wrong! Blame jet lag. At least it is a delicious mistake.

2 Likes

Do you know something?:thinking:

1 Like

Great question @hookedinvesting, I’m glad you ask! We are indeed connecting to the European markets directly, and connecting to a major CCP to clear trades. I’ll explain more here.

At face value, this new feature might seem simple - a bunch more stocks added to the platform. However, beneath the surface, it’s anything but simple, and what sets this new feature apart is ingrained in the DNA of Freetrade: investing time, energy and money into developing the right technology to build a sustainable business, supporting our clients throughout their lives. In short, this is the most complex piece of engineering and operations work since we built the Invest platform in 2019/20.

Our strategy with European trading is to effectively put you on the trading floor, trading alongside the brokers, market makers and institutions - rather than trading through those groups and lining their pockets with profit. This gives us several key differentiators: we can offer the best prices because we’re removing the counterparties that would take a cut from the spread you receive; and we can extend our stock universe with more trading venues in future using the same technology.

44 Likes

Do you plan on doing the same for US markets - removing the dependency on drivewealth?

6 Likes

Is Freetrade acting as the counterpart, market maker or other similar role when we deal with European stocks?

1 Like

Is the UK based freetrade nominees ltd or a European equivalent being used as the custodian?

Freetrade nominees Europe LTD if you will?