Partial ISA Transfer from Quilter

Hello,
I have a Stocks and Shares ISA managed by Quilter/Old Mutual that was setup by my IFA, it has quite a lot in it after maxing out my allowance for the past decade.
Last April I decided to stop paying into it and open a FT ISA instead.
I now wish to transfer some of my frozen Quilter ISA across to FT as the (platform+advisor) fees are killing any growth I had been getting in the old ISA compared to the growth I have seen in my FT ISA over the past year.

I decided on a partial transfer as I am concerned about putting all my eggs into one basket.
However I have just found out that Quilter do not allow partial transfers out, so I now have to consider whether to do a full transfer or leave it as it is.

Has anyone else done this kind of thing?
(I am sure some of you must have…)

Thanks for any advice.
Simon

1 Like

I transferred my SIPP to Freetrade from Vanguard. Mainly because I wanted better controls over my investments as the fees with vanguard aren’t a problem.

Be prepared for it to take ages, mine for 10 weeks as Vanguard kept messing it up. FreeTrade we’re great with their communication though.

1 Like

Thanks Neil, I also did a SIPP transfer last year but it was only about £20k so not a major problem and I transferred in as cash which was a lot simpler than trying to transfer a big ISA with lots of different stocks.

I think I am going to do it but wanted to get a thumbs up from the community. :+1:

1 Like

If there is no value in the fees you pay don’t hang around.

Are you comfortable making your own decisions with that sum of money?

Yes? Move to a no frills DIY provider. Make sure that provider provides you with the breadth you are looking for. There is no point in a provider providing you with loads of things that you don’t care about.

No? Move to a cheaper place that does the investment for you.

As you have already identified, moving all your things to a single provider has an element of risk. Be happy with taking that risk. Or work out a route to moving from Q to A and from A to B and C.

1 Like

Thank you for the response.
At the time I opened the account, using an IFA made sense as I wasn’t confident choosing my own funds, and they made some good choices which led to decent growth.

But I realised, after I had stopped paying into the account, that the fees were a lot higher than I thought.

And just over 2 years ago I decided to take control of my investments and started reading Monevator and other blogs to learn more about where and how to invest. And then I learnt about FT !

So, yes I do now feel able to make the right decisions about my money.
I could just move it all into a Vanguard Life fund but I like the control and immediate feedback you get from FT, even if that means I need to be careful with my actions.

2 Likes

There is a great thread if you’re planning to buying out a diverse portfolio it’s worth a read, I was helped massively by some seriously knowledgeable members - obviously nothing constitutes advice but I found it invaluable

2 Likes

Thanks for the thread. I will have a read through.
One of the monevator articles that helped me was: How to construct your own asset allocation - Monevator
I also took inspiration from this article:
9 lazy portfolios for UK investors - Monevator