Problems with Limit order execution

Iā€™d make sure you push the issue with them. Make it clear theyā€™re not listening to the problem.

@Freetrade_Team kind of poor response it seems? Canā€™t people get some clearer answers to their specific questions from support?

1 Like

@ralf please push this with support. I have noticed this with limit orders regularly to the point Iā€™d figured they just donā€™t work.

Very interested in any reasonable response you get.

Thanks.

1 Like

My LOā€™s are hit and miss ā€¦ had an LO on a recent SPAC at $10 ā€¦ didnā€™t trigger for 2 days even though went slightly underā€¦ had to buy manually ā€¦ then ended up at $10.01.

Hi @ralf, first of all, sorry for any confusion so far and the delay in our response on this thread.

We wanted to clarify why your limit orders didnā€™t trigger and share as much information as we can for you and anyone else reading this.

Our limit orders or triggered limit orders sit with third parties who determine if the price has been ā€˜metā€™ or ā€˜touchedā€™ before they send the order to the market. Depending on liquidity, these orders may not be met.

On the issue of the oldest limit order executing last, this is something we are working with our provider on right now to try and resolve.

We acknowledge that there are product improvements we can do to make it clearer and simpler to understand when/why an order hasnā€™t executed, and also to clear any pending limit orders. This is something we will definitely explore in future.

Hope this helps for now, and we appreciate your patience.

Update, 19th July:

With regards to the oldest limit being executed last, we have worked with our partner to identify the cause of the issue and this should now be resolved.

This improvement is now on your app.

7 Likes

Hi there!

Hopefully someone can explain whatā€™s going on hereā€¦

The live price on TradingView for Benā€™s Creek was above .3495 for 15 minutes.

I had a limit order set at .3465. The market bid/ask was also above this for the whole time. BUTā€¦ the order didnā€™t execute at any point.

The price in the app was not even showing as above .3312 for a long time. Then, even when it started showing as higher (so I presume the bid/ask had also updated along with the price), the order still wasnā€™t executing. Still well within order fill range.

I was seeing sell orders getting executed in TradingView constantly during this time, so there was plenty of demand, and the volume is above 1m, so plenty of liquidity.

Anywayā€¦ because nothing was happening, and it was getting annoying. I decided to remove my limit order, and just place an instant order instead, just to see what happens.

It got executed straight away at .3466 - above the original limit order.

So my question is, why did my limit order not get filled when it was well within an executable range for an extended period of time - and why did it sell at the right price with no issues when I switched to instant?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Looking at past threads, I see replies like:

ā€œOur limit orders or triggered limit orders sit with third parties who determine if the price has been ā€˜metā€™ or ā€˜touchedā€™ before they send the order to the market. Depending on liquidity, these orders may not be met.ā€

With over a million in volume, spread and liquidity shouldnā€™t be an issue at all. And the price was definitely beyond ā€˜touchedā€™ and holding above ā€˜metā€™.

Iā€™d also like to double-check whether the known issue of ā€˜oldest limit orders get executed lastā€™ is also now no longer an issue?

3 Likes

So itā€™s actually on freetrade now?
Neil whatā€™s your knowledge on limit orders?

I placed an order for 0.0085 to execute it went to that yesterday twice didnā€™t execute
Even went to 0.0082 share price and didnā€™t execute surely this breaks all the so called rules by freetrade if your a plus member :thinking:

Sam covered this better than I can.

https://community.freetrade.io/t/why-do-my-limit-orders-not-complete/42159/32?u=neilb

Essentially your bid was in the market but nobody wanted to sell at that price.

1 Like

Fair point, bit doesnā€™t that sort of undermine the action? So not enough shares available :thinking::+1:t2:

1 Like

I donā€™t know which company you had the limit set for but given the price, Iā€™d assume itā€™s fairly small and maybe not very liquid.

If you had this set against Apple or Microsoft it would have triggered because the market is much bigger.

1 Like

Tiny company tbh p/e is like a 0.28 probsaby why get it now :+1:t2:

1 Like

P/E doesnā€™t really matter in this case, the smaller the company the more ā€˜nicheā€™ it is, this means fewer people are in the market to buy and sell the stock.

1 Like

This will be a big problem for me. Limit orders are how i move shares into my isa. I also sell shares the day before exdivided with a limit order and buyback on exdivided day with a limit order, to make a capital gain instead of an income gain. Absolutely no problems at all with Hargreaves Lansdown. If i have problems like the op i am off to another platform

1 Like

This tends to happen only with very illiquid small caps.

1 Like

@freetrade
You really need to up your game with these limit orders, buying an order doesnā€™t seem to be working this is the 3rd time Iā€™ve tried and when cancellation is tried itā€™s delays

Being a plus member this needs ironing out or what is the point in me paying for a service Iā€™m not getting?

Regardless of the companyā€™s size Iā€™ve just bought shares instantly instead of limit order which has seen massive price change and the company is exchanging millions of shares not a small company eitherā€¦

Not happy with this service you are providing :rage:

1 Like

How liquid is Ā£JIM?

Pretty illiquid, the average volume is 19,194 which would be Ā£43k traded on an average day.

I sold Abrdn Equity Income Trust today. The price quoted was not the price I got? It was 3p lower? Is this normal? HL account says this is the price offered and gives you 15 seconds to make up your mind. If you click buy you get it at the price offered. Why not on freetrade?

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the same. Freetrade just gives you an indication of the last market price. The order is then sent to market and executed at the best price at that time.
HL actually takes risk by guaranteeing a price. Thatā€™s why you pay tons of money per order at HL and freetrade is free.

4 Likes

The offer actually comes from the counterparty. HL doesnā€™t take the risk. The quoting system as described is supported and available through the provider Freetrade uses, but only for UK orders.

The decision was to prioritise consistency of experience across UK / US / EU trades, rather than build that feature only for UK trades.