Vote for the features that you want Freetrade to build 🗳

When searching for shares, I’d like a feature to sort prices in ascending or descending price order.

1 Like

It nice that we can vote on the features we like but can you get a move on and implement them - It can’t be that hard to sort out the Watchlist or the Investment list in a specific order

Not speaking for Freetrade as I’m just a community member but …

The whole focus is on EU expansion as this is something that has been in the works for 12+ months and will deliver more revenue and the option to trade EU stocks.

2 Likes

True but they can’t have spent the entire Engineering Team on the EU Expansion, they need to spent some resources on other areas as well

I’m sure people been requesting Autopilots, JISA, LISA, Ordering of the Investment List for quite a while now

We just need abit transparency on what is happening on the other Features

2 Likes

I’d do things I’m not proud of to get JISA support!

1 Like

I was soooo tempted to start a list of things @NeilB would/wouldn’t be prepared to do :rofl:

1 Like

2 Likes

Individual Portfolio features for each users like Favourites is good functionality to target i.e. EV portfolio, Commodity portfolio, Banks that user can add based on holdings they have.

4 Likes

App is almost perfect. Fractional shares for ETF’s would literally make it perfect.

1 Like

And filters :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :+1:

1 Like

About fractional shares. I am just wondering aloud here.

In some respect fractional shares is an interesting concept because it surely implies a lot of extra work for Freetrade. Freetrade can’t buy fractional shares. It must buy whole shares and divvy them out. So at some level it must take some risk. I would imagine selling fractional shares has similar issues - the market clearly won’t buy fractions of a share; Freetrade would have to sell the whole share. Additionally, I can’t see how this works (easily) in any kind of direct market access situation. Some kinds of arrangements, internally and externally, need to be in place for this to happen: those arrangements could imply a markup of some kind.

Does anyone know? Has this been ever discussed at an AMA? It would shed light on whether fractional ETF’s would ever be possible.

The fractional shares in the US is powered by Drive Wealth. They provided market access for many large name including Revolut. I’ve not looked into their model but it would require a tonne of capital to hold (potential) 0.99% of every listing.

2 Likes

Do you think EU stocks will add revenue because of FX fee? But no so many people are happy with EU stocks

I don’t think it will be possible for a considerable while, perhaps even a number of years if we are going to be realistic.

From what I understand fractional shares have always been something that happens at the broker level as I don’t know of any share registrars in the UK that offer them.

Some want drivewealth out of the equation when it comes to freetrade.

This would seriously backfire of implemented as fractional shares for us stocks would go, and more or less overnight as well.

I think the freetrade customer is going to have to come to terms that it may take a minimum of 2 years for fractional shares to be available for UK and EU stocks, and depending on progress, could even take longer than that.

Yes I’m choosing to wear my pragmatic hat but I think a certain level of ‘expectation management’ wouldn’t go amiss.

3 Likes

I’ve not bought any shares with them for a while but you can buy fractional UK shares using Halifax Sharedealing as part of their Sharebuilder functionality.

Thanks for your message. To be clear I wasn’t asking for (or against) such a feature. I wanted to understand how fractional share’s were being made available. @NeilB provided the answer.

There are at least three brokers that have a fractional share facility for at least some UK and EU stocks and shares. I don’t think that people who want this feature care how this capability is executed … simply that some mechanism exists.

I note from the US that at least one major broker (Charles Schwab) that provides fractional shares doesn’t provide fractional ETF’s … I don’t know why …is it something specific to ETF’s or is it something around business models.

Anyway, at least from the user point of view fractional shares including fractional ETF’s are provided by some brokers today.

Ok so it may be done on freetrade, but a compromise shall be needed. That comprise will likely be the used of a 3rd party like drivewealth for UK and EU stocks.

I know some already wish for drivewealth to be out of the picture for US stocks. It’s because of them we even have fractional US stocks to begin with.

The key logistical issue with fractional stocks or ETFs (no matter the market) is that the broker would have to buy a certain number of full stocks and split them out.

I don’t know if freetrade would be financially capable of achieving this. Even if it was only UK and EU stocks, this would be quite a financial undertaking, not to mention the Dev work to get the system running.

Of course the 3rd party option is of course available, of a majority of users are wanting this functionality, but it will come at a cost of using a 3rd party, something some users aren’t wildly keen on.

I get people want it, and more power to them! I just feel we need to discuss the ‘how’ a bit more closely

Wealthkernel are UK based and offer a service to allow the purchase of fractional UK / Euro shares and ETFs.

3 Likes

They’d need to hold a maximum of one share of each available stock traded on the stock market. I don’t know how much that would cost, but I don’t think it’s prohibitive for a company of FT’s size. there aren’t many stupidly expensive stocks (in terms of price per share) on the UK stock market

4 Likes

They would need to manage those trades. This includes dividend distribution. All feasible. At a cost.

How many people who want fractional shares are willing to pay for this service? I am sure product management would be asking this sort of thing.

1 Like