What is going on today? - Megathread

The EU/ECB only really ever kicked the can down the road so to speak with the Eurozone debt crisis.
The southern Mediterranean countries are obviously somewhat reliant on tourism spending for significant part of their job market/GDP, some more so than others, with spending obviously dive bombing over the previous two years - Travel and tourism GDP share by country EU 2022 | Statista

Ignoring the other factors like the Euro is probably too strong a currency for some of those countries, or Greece having a fair amount of tax avoidance, Italy’s aging population (highest average age in Europe I believe).
Quite the predicament to resolve…

1 Like

The words you quote are my interpretation of Lagarde’s words

The ECB are now going to punish higher income northerners to keep bond spreads in line for Italy, Greece etc.

This won’t turn out well.

looking at past bear markets, compare June to the second half of the year… we are going to the moon by Christmas :laughing:

4 Likes

Does this happen to others anytime you buy a stock after it being at a stable price for a good while it decides to drop as soon as you buy.

:frowning: the luck or is it :smiley:

2 Likes

You are being baited by algos

1 Like

If anything, the more data I see the more it tells me bonds are way likelier to outperform equities than otherwise. We’ve had (some) multiple compression, now comes the recessionary ‘e’ compression (starting to be seen already with retailers, Micron today etc). Bonds on the other hand have had to price in rate rises and are starting to behave like a haven asset again.

2 Likes

I think most companies will get on this band wagon now

everyone demands a pay rise, inflation rockets to 25%
everyone demands more pay rise … :face_with_peeking_eye:
the never ending cycle to bankruptcy

1 Like

Yeah seems that’s like 9 or so companies so far that have or are about to strike

That chart has the power to mislead.

If something goes down 50% then it needs to go up 100% to recover.

So in every single one of those years, shown in the chart, the market did not recover the losses made in the first half.

2 Likes

https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/d7cb45b1-aa29-43f1-9b23-c7e1b6ddaf85/many-happy-returns

Something tells me they ain’t gonna be producing 3 million bpd of oil.

3 Likes

Looks like Boris might finally be heading to the hangman’s noose. Chancellor Rishi Sunak & Health sec Sajid Javid have both quit saying they cannot serve in his government.

To lose one cabinet minister is careless to lose two is …

10 Likes

Markets don’t like uncertainty but maybe this is the end of uncertainty & distractions.

1 Like

Rishi is no great loss!

2 Likes

1 Like

It’s what these resignations mean rather than the qualities of the person in the job.

Big people to watch would now be Gove & Zahawi