What is going on today? - Megathread

dribbble-holiday-card-800x600

14 Likes

I have the fear and my heads bursting thinking when to buy in, I mean all big name stocks are around 40 to 60% down Google etc, I think this is the time to buy but thereā€™s talk of the USA only growing 1.3% until 2028, so I donā€™t know if its going to fall further but some of these stocks are reaching as low as the 2019 sell off before lockdown.

What so you guys think? Are yous waiting or buying? I think if we waited there could be more gains to be had but if you just want in on a stock right now I think surely you canā€™t go wrong with a 50% discount, and like any downturn it Usally rebounds.

Another thing bugging me is all these wars that could break out and seems to be edging closer, turkey, Iran, Saudi, Taiwan, China, USA, Russia, Ukraine, UK, itā€™s getting messy.

Usally stocks donā€™t bother me but I lost out on rio tinto thinking oh surely with the news it will drop and I never bought in 2 shares so because I never done it then all it done was go straight up so I lost out on a 40 pound gain on only 2 shares which is mad for my small portfolio.

So yeah this is the first time I feel like a weight on my shoulders as to what to do I feel a little lost Tbh, I do have a plan but I just feel something bads around the corner.

Sorry for the long story, really tired kinda writing this with one eye opened.

I would just like to see what other peopleā€™s directions are going for the next say 2 years at least? What are yous buying? Topping up? Keeping cash? Saving?

I just fancied buying into Google, amazon, etc while their low as their like 50% down and I keep saying surely they wonā€™t go down another 40% but even if I did buy in right now and it returned to normal that would still be a 50% profit.

The question is when will they return back to their former.

Interesting post. Iā€™ve felt a bit like that at times. IMO I think there is still further to fall for lots of companies.

My solution to this has been to outsource the worry to the professionals. For the next 6 months or so Iā€™m going to aim to sit on more cash and put the rest into actively managed funds.

1 Like

Nice, see Tbh I know people say diversify but then you get some of the big names just keeping it simple woth a few stocks and see Tbh I would be happy just drip feeding into rio tinto, snp500, ftst 100 and all world.

That would probably give me less of a head ache than dealing with 30 stocks also I donā€™t have enough cash going into my portfolio to really spread it over 30 itā€™s a struggle with the 4 mentioned above.

Holding all of that is a lot of diversification. Without looking into the weightings etc Iā€™d imagine youā€™re doubling up on the s&p500 and ftse100 with the all world. I assume thatā€™s intentional though :smiley:

Yeah some of the single stocks were me trying out some stuff as a newbie then I started with efts and they seem to be doing well all of them are in good green right now, I have a few single stocks up 20% the rest are all down in the red another thing is a good few were free shares it just happens they have turned into almost dead stocks so I do ignore them.

My worst performance stock is mgc and thatā€™s almost down 150, that was my newbie going oh look. Its so cheap buying penny stocks and I kept buying into those instead of efts but that was a lesson learned.

Back to putting into those efts it seems the safest option in the long term I hope.

Iā€™m continuing to buy, ETFs and investment trusts. Perhaps top up on existing individual shares.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s what I will do but the issue is my efts are all on the way up same with rio itā€™s moved from 45 to 61 almost so it feels like if I buy in its going to just sail down.

I feel this is a little rally before a dip again as their saying a 3rd of the world will be going into recession in the coming months.

Also whatā€™s funng is the news and all the big players shit it when the laymen brothers were down 38% we have massive names right now down over 60%, itā€™s a confusing time.

Iā€™m a buyer of equity. I want it to be cheap. So itā€™s the best time to buy in a while. I donā€™t know which ones will do best, so I buy them all. I do that through global ETFs.
Then when prices go down, Iā€™m happy because I get more for my money. I then donā€™t need to stress and can concentrate on other things, where I might be able to add value.

1 Like

See for me efts arenā€™t the best right now due to them rising fast this last month with the rallies of some other stocks so I feel if I buy in now the rally will finish and we will have a short reel in.

Who knows though I tried this with rio and failed and regretted it lol. Iā€™m. Keeping my eye open I may wait to buy in until next week now I donā€™t really like buying on Fridays as well thsts also Usally a rally day as its pay day for weekly earners.

One of the advantages of a cost averaging approach is it takes away this indecision. Put a fixed amount in every month whether itā€™s up or down, and donā€™t worry about getting the exact timing right.

3 Likes

It depends on your timeframe - are you looking to make a quick buck over 3-12 months or are you in it for the long haul?

If youā€™re a long term investor, as the saying goes - Time in the market beats timing the market

1 Like

My strategy is to keep buying dividend stocks that are showing signs of undervaluation. I dont bother speculating on tech or big growth names that dont pay. Too much hassle.

As for timing buys, I have found that at any one time, at least 1-2 positions are at or below fair value in the portfolio so deploying capital has been fairly straightforward till now. I dont own any ETFs mostly for this reasonā€¦

1 Like

Yeah long haul for me I donā€™t need the cash Iā€™m putting into stocks, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll get over not buying into rio for a long while dam man that would of done my portoilo so great and would of been my greatest ever trade hehe.

Guess next time the lessons I have learned is just keep drip feeding especially when itā€™s in the red because now itā€™s 17% up from where I was going to buy haha.

I bet many have had that issue before kicking themselfs for a trade they should of went into the gut says yes the brain says no.

1 Like

RIO is cyclical, there will be another opportunity to buy low for sure. Look to add myself to turbocharge portfolio yield but not at current levels

I think it was China opening up that made the stock fly up I was watching that but it was only talk then the riots then some areas were allowed to open and with all this the stock price flew up and also not long after they bought out a copper mine I think from another manufacturer.

https://www-businessoffashion-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.businessoffashion.com/news/beauty/morphe-brand-once-valued-at-2-billion-closing-all-us-stores/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&outputType=amp&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16731340460184&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessoffashion.com%2Fnews%2Fbeauty%2Fmorphe-brand-once-valued-at-2-billion-closing-all-us-stores%2F

Get rich pump it dump it scheme?

Hi all

Weā€™re experiencing an issue with our partner today and UK orders are currently being delayed.

If you placed an order outside market hours which is queued for trading please be aware we may have to delay their execution.

Many apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Weā€™ll let you know when this is resolved.

2 Likes

That is what Iā€™m currently buying. Halma & HL as well.

Couple of things that Iā€™ve learned. Try to put the % up or down to one side, variance is a prompt to look at a stock, it isnā€™t a real to buy or sell. Make your decisions based on underlying fundamentals - EPS growth, dividend growth (yield less important), future of the market. I use P/E (relative to average P/E for that stock) as a key measure for assessing value.

And above all, donā€™t fret or beat yourself up about a mistake or a missed opportunity. Treat that as an investment in itself, what have your learned as a result (and often this is about understanding the WHY behind the decision rather than the result) - that lesson is likely more valuable that the missed trade.

Edit: As always, this post isnā€™t advice - it is simply what I am doing and my own reflections on what Iā€™m doing.

4 Likes

I had Rio Tinto for a bit, was a good hedge against Tech stocks. Then I realised it was very linked to underlying commodity volatility (Iron Ore in particular). Got out of it when I realised I had no real clue about commodity fluctuations.

BP & APD are in a similar bracket for me. Quite like the businesses but donā€™t understand the fundamentals well enough.

This website is great though if you do want to look at commodity data.

1 Like