Apple - AAPL - Share Chat

share Buy back will soon attract a 1% tax, it won’t affect any behavior in the short term but could be increased in time.

1 Like

I always found that so weird

You’d think averaging a ~5% shareholder yield and a fortress balance sheet would make it a favourite with yield chasing types, but because they distribute it efficiently suddenly it’s less popular?

4 Likes

Yep, for sure it’s the thin edge of the wedge. I think it’s complicated from an operational point of view, but can’t see why buybacks should be tax advantaged compared to dividends.

2 Likes

I don’t really have time for maybe ‘thin end of the wedge’ arguments as they’re often scaremongering but in this case it seems clear to me that this will rise over time.

I don’t have any issue with it given the huge increase over the past decade. I wonder if the UK would consider one?

1 Like

First time I have watched an Apple event live (YouTube) they certainly are slick. IPhone 14 looks nice and I’m sure will sell like hot cakes. I’m still waiting for my IPhone se mk1 2016 to finally give up the ghost before I upgrade.

4 Likes

“in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

I didn’t watch it this time but have in the past, they’re really quite a good watch, aren’t they? I was suprised

1 Like

Link for anyone else who hasn’t seen it yet. And look out for the intentional ‘after show glitchy thing’ at 1h36m40s that’s got everyone talking.

Their presentations are brilliant. It must be hard working at companies with lower budgets or completely unimaginative/restricted marketing departments (Google/Amazon) and then seeing Apple produce this kind of work.

The Mac focussed events are even better because they feature Hair Force One AKA Craig Federighi. An offensively charismatic man. Here’s his Best Of video… Craig Federighi Best Moments | 2012-2020 - YouTube It’s quite the trip to see how much better their presentations are than they were 10 years ago.

3 Likes

I feel like if you work in marketing you know better than to compare yourself to Apple, they really are incredible at it. Maybe something like Coke or Red Bull are the only things close.

Google/Amazon are tech companies with marketing departments, Apple feels a marketing company with a tech department and it works for them, even tech journalists are talking about ‘innovative’ crash detection like it hasn’t been a feature for 3 years already. The ability to market something is often a lot more lucrative than inventing it.

3 Likes

Link for anyone else who hasn’t seen it yet. And look out for the intentional ‘after show glitchy thing’ at 1h36m40s that’s got everyone talking.

I didn’t see that? The video looks like it’s been truncated too so maybe it wasn’t intentional. What happened exactly?

1 Like

Yeah I wondered about that, it was a tease for S2 of Severance (Apple TV show)

2 Likes

Severance was great, (I don’t have Apple TV, I watched it …er…elsewhere)

1 Like

One year they’re going to shock us all and say “This year we’re releasing an iPhone that’s not as advanced as last year’s”

6 Likes

oh no… well I guess if I invest in the company it makes it better for the share price :crazy_face:

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-28/apple-iphone-14-sales-not-strong-enough-to-trigger-production-boost

Apple ditches iPhone production increase after demand falters. The share price is down 3% today.

1 Like

Err, did I do this? Am I so powerful that a trillion dollar company can’t even escape from my talents?

3 Likes

Not sure why anyone reports this as surprising. Their phones are made to last longer and longer with services to prolong the life

2 Likes
1 Like