Apple - AAPL - Share Chat

Yeah that’s not even the main issue with the EU legislation. USB C is a reasonable cable, though not the best and not as durable as it could have been. But what’s likely to happen is the EU have handed the USB guys a monopoly on cable standard for most of these devices where it wasn’t needed.

the rule applies to mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, headphones, headsets, handheld videogame consoles, portable speakers, e-readers, keyboards, mice, earbuds and portable navigation devices and laptops.

While there are some other sub types used, and lightning still on some devices. These were already being phased generally to type c anyway. the main exception at the moment are ‘cheaper’ products using cheaper non type c parts, or some apple devices. In both cases I think we would be seeing them change over anyway.

but the legislation now demands a cable… and laws are slow to adapt to new technology. So while we say this pickup of type c without enforcement, now that we have type c enforced, what are the chances we will see any further development of cables in the future? any improvements over the weak points of type c, when you cant because the law requires a specific cable.

They fix this by saying they’re review new technologies, but usually that requires there being an ability to use those technologies for anyone to bother to try.

So sadly, I expect we’re not going to see anything other than type c for a long time, unless USB themselves push a new cable and have the EU adopt it for them. Which seems more likely to be the kind of relationship we’ll see. a monopoly on cabling.

1 Like

I think the different types of USB C is fine, it shows the durability and it’s good you can always do the lowest common denominator capability across the {device A, device B and cable} functionality - I.e. you can still use a cable rated for 45W PD and 4K display output for 5W charging of a phone or transfer at low speeds using a high speed cable with a slow speed device. It’s insane to have a world where you couldn’t use a better cable for some basic task just because of different connectors (like not being able to charge a phone with a laptop charger).

The problem is the terribly unclear USB naming conventions around them which makes it impossible to figure out what a cable does at a glance - they have really messed up there, I’m fairly techy and I have no clue and have to look it up.

I mean strongly disagree that it wasn’t needed, but if you take the view that it was I think a non-profit industry group is probably the best option. Do bear in mind that Apple is a member of USB-IF so they are the ‘USB guys’.

2 Likes

I think you’re right here it’s one of the main hurdles, especially when you can have a pile of type c cables and have no idea what functionality each has if they’re not labelled clearly. Which most aren’t.

How was it needed though I guess is the question? Everyone was already moving to type c on their own, including apple. The only places you would generally see other usb types was printers (which don’t seem to be on the list) and cheap devices to keep costs low.

Even the claims for the need for this seemed to be a little over exaggerated. How many cables types did most people have? Maybe three at most? Yet the politicians were waving around dozens in their hands.

People are still going to have a cable per device, so it won’t reduce waste there. And since an option for a charger is also a requirement of this legislation, if it can’t be added as an additional cost, people are more likely to opt in for a charger as well. Which may likely increase waste not reduce it.

So I really don’t know what’s being accomplished with something as overbearing as a new law

As a simple mechie, my problem with USB C is it’s weak AF design. I have one, and only one, on my laptop. So when the dock is plugged in, that’s it. When that large docking cable gets bent, well that’s a busted dock and laptop.

Now, 3.5mm line-in, that’s a well designed connector. Props also to magsafe.

Here is an idea Lufthansa, stop loosing luggage and then you won’t be embraced by people being able to find their bags with a £25 gadget.

I never travel anywhere without an Air tag on my luggage.

1 Like

Genuinely never noticed how well $AAPL has done vs $GOOGL. Plus the current FX climate, whomever invested even just 3 years ago must be super happy right now.

6 Likes

Invested in AAPL on 11/02/2019, yay me. 286% return.

9 Likes

Seeing what’s happening with Amazon today I think apple will bomb after hours
Rip :sob:

Earning didn’t really miss yet :man_shrugging:t2::sob:

2 Likes

Apple’s open source recycling robot Daisy (is she a relation @CashCow ?).

And Apple’s statement that they will be using 100% reclaimed cobalt by 2050!

2 Likes

Apple Vision Pro!

2 Likes

Not suggesting I know more than Apple…

BUT… :rofl:

Glasses and headsets have consistently proved to be unpopular with the vast majority of the public.

Will go the way of 3d TV glasses etc.

Yes VR and AI will grow in future, but I dont see headsets as the answer . Perhaps hologram technology or perhaps something new.

4 Likes

The idea of watching a film in a big virtual screen is not that bad, although it might be a solitary experience.

2 Likes

The possibilities of AR are incredible though - particularly as our sensor technology advances apace.

I can see possibilities in military for sure, with AR night vision or edge-detection, heat detection or movement detection. Imagine radar augmented reality or the ability to see where rounds are being fired from on the battlefield!

They could offer live plant or bird ID, structural measurements for architects, the list goes on.

At the same time I somewhat agree. The sticking point is the clunky nature of headsets - and until the functionality outweighs this - or we invent HUD contact lenses, the public may be unwilling to use them.

Now I just need some excessively rich friends who will let me play with their set when they come on the market! Any takers :rofl:

2 Likes

Agree in the endless possibilities of VR, I just feel like headsets will never be the answer for the public at large.

3d TV glasses dead.

Previous VR headsets dead.

New technologies will come forward and headsets will be defunct, IMO.

Theyll sell some of course, but its not going to be a revelation IMO.

2 Likes

I see this as a first step, of course they want to make them small and lightweight. But they have to start somewhere…

4 Likes

Agreed. I suspect that it will more likely to be industry specific applications, training or similar use rather than general.

Like most technology it goes through various iterations before it has its golden age. Remember the first mobile phones?! The size of a brick with 5 or 10 minutes talk time and no signal! I would never have guessed that I would now be writing this on one!

2 Likes

Apple glasses would be a more compelling device imo, since it’s a smart, light and small glasses, perfect for day by day routine without looks like a weirdo haha. However it’s been a long run since they revealed the idea and no news has come since then.

3 Likes