Dividends in Activity feed 💸

Yes they are coming through :+1:t3:

1 Like

I’m still getting notifications. How long is this going on for? :hushed:

I love seeing the emails with all my dividends, makes me feel rich. :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

I’m getting on for 100 emails. :laughing:

3 Likes

I’ve got 79, They are still coming in sporadically :rofl:

@Gemhappe A couple of dividend payments from the last tax year (2019/20) didn’t get backfilled in my account? Is this something you’re still working on?

Did you find out the answer to why you got less?

So this was posted by Freetrade on 2018 with many “coming soon” updates but it seems it never happened. My question is does anyone know what stage it is at and if they are still going ahead with it?

The reason I ask is I am relying on external sites to inform me about dividends and would like to think FT would notify me first but obviously they don’t. Also, there are too many messages where it could be mentioned to read through to find latest plan/status :+1:

4 Likes

@Big-g looks like the “thread” went cold and died :roll_eyes::gun:

Newbie question. How long after the ex dividend date do you need to hold the shares to get the dividend payment?

-1 day since that’s the cutoff date

2 Likes

I have never seen this in the app e.g:

Ticker: O Declared: 13 Apr 2021 Ex: 30 Apr 2021 Pay: 14 May 202

My shares were bought 12th April, and nothing for O is listed in the Activity feed around the 30th April. If the process is not working then I will I see the payment? I shall post back on the 15th May.

I’ve only seen dividends after they appear.

1 Like

If you read properly it says pay date 14.5

Oh sorry just realised that this feature hasn’t ben released, yet. It was announced in 2018. My mistake.

Please disregard my posts

2 Likes

Me too.

I read this article, and while I can see the point they are making (paying a dividend reduces the value of the company, so the stock price should go down), but intuitively it doesn’t make any sense to me. A good number of those receiving the dividend will re-invest it anyway, often automatically using DRIP, and while that isn’t increasing the value of those shares per se, it is increasing demand on the existing stock, which should push the price back up a little.

That said, I haven’t been in this long enough to look out for the effect, so maybe it is true. Seems to me that it’d just make it a good predictable time to get a bargain for long-term stocks if it was true.

Technically, the price of the share goes down on the ex-dividend date not on the date the div is paid. Usually the price increases on the days leading to the ex div date, by the amount of the div.

Also, fundamentally, the div is paid from the company’s earnings, i.e. less cash in your balance sheet to be invested and put to use so the value of the company will go down which will adjust the share price.

2 Likes

I did read it properly. I asked the question after the 14th. Did you misread my post?

Anyway, it takes 2-3 days from listed Pay-Date to deposit into the FT account, said Freetrade.

Mate, it literally says you posted this 7 days ago which was the 11th. Not sure why you’d come back to this post after you realised the answer yourself to say something that’s untrue :smiley: