Google Finance portfolio tracking

Can everyone share the apps they are using to follow the stock exchange?
Maybe add the pros and cons as well.

6 Likes

Yahoo Finance is a great one to be honest. What exactly are you after? Maybe company yearly stats like revenue, profits and ratios?

1 Like

Thanks @Vlad , I was mainly interested in what everyone else is using so I have updated the post accordigly.
personall Iā€™m looking for a simple and clutter free app/site the a novice can use easily and that will also give me just the necessary information and stats to decide if I want to buy/stell a stock.

1 Like

Give stockrow.com a go. In my opinion, the best tool to take general stats and ratios for your analysis (no UK stocks there I think).

Tipranks.com is good too, but their design is not as slick and there are many paywalls. However, this one has a great AI feature that gives you bearish and bullish news for companies your pick, quite useful actually. Since I have about 15 companies in my portfolio, all news for them are clustered there.

Feel free to ask if you need any more help with those :wink:

2 Likes

You might find this thread interesting as well, @Nizarā€¦ Not specific to apps, but some handy sources for you to get your data from :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally, I used WeBull for tracking the stock market as the information there is pretty comprehensive which includes key statistics, capital flow, news, analyst forecasts and you can set a reminder for any upcoming earning report as well .

4 Likes

Try Investing.comā€¦very sophisticated and lots of info ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m with @Vlad, Yahoo Finance and donā€™t forget BLOOMBERG.

1 Like

A couple of others that havenā€™t been mentioned, that I liked:

TeleTrader - https://www.teletrader.com/
Koyfin - https://www.koyfin.com (but it is U.S. only)

I really liked Yahoo Financeā€™s mobile app for its simplicity - I can get straight to what I care about. Theyā€™ve made it a bit worse with the extra hop to get to my portfolio overview. However, I find that the data is a bit unreliable at times (in particular for less liquid ETFs).

1 Like

The GOOGLEFINANCE function on a Google sheet is handy for portfolio tracking.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve played with Google Finance before, but never built something to manage the full portfolio.

Here is a copy of one I made previously Portfolio Management - Shared - Google Sheets

Iā€™d love to hear the thoughts and ideas of others. Maybe we can build out something decent as a group?

6 Likes

For several months now (since Googlefinance had a big update), I havenā€™t been able to get it to show any data on UK mutual funds :frowning: . Until that point I was a big fan, now making do with Yahoo finance.

[Update: see Google Finance portfolio tracking - #67 by rod for UK mutual fund prices in Goog Sheets]

Iā€™ve just started inputting my FT portfolio into a google sheet

Some of the prices donā€™t seem to be correct :man_shrugging:

For example ā€˜MIDDā€™ below should be 1695 not 109?

Traded on the London market so use the ā€œLONā€ prefix : =GOOGLEFINANCE(ā€œLON:MIDDā€, ā€œpriceā€)

2 Likes

Ahhhhh thanks :sunglasses:

Much appreciated

It certainly is yes! :ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

Back in my techie days I did this via the IMPORTXML function - the XPath part is a bit fiddly thoughā€¦

2 Likes

Well, it isnā€™t available as an iOS app for me. Since March, the website is barely there (the portfolio has atrophied into a watchlist). Iā€™ve mostly used it as a call in the Google spreadsheet, ie like Jimā€™s example:

Yeahā€¦ the annoying thing is that UK mutual funds worked fine with Googleā€™s weird identifiers (eg MUTF_GB:VANG_LIFE_80_1MOSZN3) for a few years, and then with ISIN codes (eg GB00B4PQW151.L) for a few years, and nowā€¦ I canā€™t make it return the price of mutual funds, whether I use Citi, Sedol, ISINā€¦ :frowning:

[Update: see Google Finance portfolio tracking - #67 by rod for UK mutual fund prices in Goog Sheets]

OK - to clarify I was talking about the GoogleFinance function within the Google Sheets iOS app :wink:

1 Like