Dividends payment!

Hey guys I may be a little premature but Iam expecting my first dividend payment off Apple today but still not received anything yet. Any idea when when I should get it. Share ex dividend date is 8th February and I purchased it on the 6th.

1 Like

New York is 5 hours behind the UK remember. And then Freetrade needs time on their end too. Notifications for my last dividends came at about 10.30am.

1 Like

Why do you think it’s today?

2 Likes

This says it’s today
https://investor.apple.com/investor-relations/financial-information/dividend-history/default.aspx

That doesn’t necessarily mean you will get it bang on market open, could be anytime today

3 Likes

That’s a really quick pay out

1 Like

Looks like they are always quick looking at the history

Ah ok cool just a bit excited ,never received a dividend payout yet. What time do US markets open?:+1:t4:

We don’t pay dividends at a set time of day on the pay date. For UK stocks, sometimes you may need to wait a few days to receive the payment because companies use administrators who take time to confirm the amount that’s due to be paid (once it’s been converted from $ to £). Some still use cheques :nauseated_face:

When we send you a dividend, we’ll send a push notification to give you a heads up so you’ll know as soon as it’s in your account :partying_face:

If you believe that you should have received a dividend but haven’t yet, please drop our friendly customer support team a message via the in-app chat.

4 Likes

As no one actually answered your query, here it is

The ‘ex-div’ date is the date before which you need to purchase a stock to be eligible for the next dividend. ‘ex-div’ basically means that if the stock is sold after this time, it will be excluding the dividend, as the buyer of the share won’t be entitled to the dividend.

The dividend payment date and Ex-div date are different as it allows time for the register of share holders to be recorded effectively so the dividends are distributed correctly.

2 Likes

Apples investor relations site gives the payment date as today, dunno where March 14 came from

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that too, edited my previous post just before your reply!

Thanks for reply but as stated I purchased the share 2 days before the ex dividend date but still haven’t received the payment which is the only reason Iam investing for the dividends. Someone mentioned that this sometime takes days which defeats the object of payment date.

Ok guys what does this mean?? If I purchased an Apple stock on the 8th of February should have I received a dividend on the 14th of February?

As explained above it can take a couple of days

2 Likes

Iam asking what declared , recorded means?? Payment is self explanatory Is declared the same as ex-dividend date?

That is just fancy bureaucracy, which seems integral to the big corporate world! :sweat_smile:

“Declaration” indicates when the board of directors approved a motion declaring that dividends should be paid. The board action creates the liability for dividends payable.

“Record” determines which stockholders receive dividends. The corporation’s records (the stockholders’ ledger) determine its stockholders as of the date of record.

“Payable” indicates when the corporation will pay dividends to the stockholders.

5 Likes

Just to add some more info here. Dividend payments for US stocks work a little bit differently to UK stock’s. They’re paid to CREST by the company & then CREST transfer the money to us. That means that there will always be at least a 24 hour delay between the payment date & when we can transfer the payment to you. Sometimes it can take longer.

And another friendly reminder -

4 Likes

How can you work out when a company is due to pay out dividends?

I use https://www.hl.co.uk/shares - Search for the company and it shows historical and upcoming payment dates.

1 Like

You can also check out https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/ for UK companies.

2 Likes