Your stock of the month - April 2019

So here I want to run a monthly thread if it proves popular (Iā€™m sure that is ok with mods?) for us to celebrate your chief stock of the month. This isnā€™t quite the end of the month, but it is more of a discussion thread to share and perhaps discuss why as we reach the close of each month . Maybe at some point when I am not supposed to be studying I may do my own little uptake on why.

Since I am on android I only got on as a beta tester on first week of April hence why I couldnā€™t do this before.

My winner is Games Workshop. I bought it 4 April for Ā£31.59 per share and it now sits at Ā£41.12 which is a 30% increase.

In second place is Boohoo.I bought it for Ā£1.92 per share and it now sits at Ā£2.39 which is almost a 25% increase.

Markets jumped considerably in April and that is largely why many stocks everywhere had good gains. I found that a good number of my safe stocks such as Astrazenica, Shell etc all dipped a bit which slightly surprised me given the worldwide turn-up in the markets.

Edit: Disclaimer
As per Freetradeā€™s policy always remember to do your own research.
Remember that past performance is no guarantee of future performance.
This is a discussion only thread and is not advice to invest in any particular stock.

13 Likes

Nice idea Ben!

Just a quick reminder for anyone reading this thread whoā€™s new to investing that just because a stockā€™s done well in one month that doesnā€™t mean that it will in the future or that you should buy it. You should always do you own research.

And for anyone whoā€™s posting, please follow our investing chat guidelines :raised_hands:

5 Likes

I paid for my largest stock (Disney) a month ago just before they officially announced the streaming platform (that everyone knew was coming). By far my strongest performing stock at the moment but Iā€™m in for the long term prospects of Disney, I think they have a lot of potential in the bag still

8 Likes

Believe it or not My best performer since Android went live is Ford at +11.68%

My portfolio is very dividend focused, I bought Ford because I thought they were overlooked and undervalued compared to all the trendy tech stocks and their dividend is over 6%

4 Likes

What was your logic behind buying Games Workshop? I used to have Warhammer about 15 years ago, but havenā€™t considered them as an investement recently.

I assumed that kids are more interested in video games these days, maybe itā€™s 30 year olds with expendable income that are buying the products.

2 Likes

I withdrew Ā£5k out of an ISA in HL and popped it into a basic account for some fun. I randomly picked most stocks. I avoid gambling and tobacco, but everything else fair game. I tend to avoid retail and just had a quick look at some graphs for stocks I hadnā€™t of or didnā€™t know anything about. So I didnā€™t bother with looking up Shell etc, but saw the gaming one had quite a bit of buzz on investors discussion. I also thought modern kids and gaming (not for me) isnā€™t exactly a sunset industry!

1 Like

JD Sports for me. Up 22%.

2nd place is Boohoo up 16%.

Unfortunately I missed the Games Workshop rally. It was my next share to pick up on my watch list so only up 5%.

1 Like

How do people monitor gains/ losses on a monthly basis?

1 Like

Without selling its admittedly going to be trickier next month unless I record it all in a spreadsheet.

Okta & MSFT for me - both up 20%+ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Polar Technology is up about 11% for me. Most are between 4 and 9% up so Iā€™m happy with my portfolio at the moment.

1 Like

Thatā€™s one of my all time favourites in my HL isa. If itā€™s the same one I am aware of it has had a 200% return on 5 years. I actually dont have it on my current funds list on FT as Ive missed that on my original search too so thanks for that. :grinning:

1 Like

Okta and others like it could be a really big future growth one. Cloud computing and computer technology stuff I think are a necessary requirement for any company and the bigger you get the more they are needed. :sunglasses:

GVC for me. I was buying them between 11th March and 8th April and paid on average Ā£5.74 per share. Theyā€™re now up to Ā£6.67, so a 16% increase.

2 Likes

I bought G4S for 1.85 per share on the 1st Apr and sold at 2.34 on the 17th :grin:

Fingers crossed for May!

Reneuron, drug development company, very small-market cap around 100m, has had a huge increase in share price the last month as a result of promising data from an ongoing clinical trial to treat Retinitis Pigmentosa and other diseases involving photo receptor death at the retina with a stem cell formulation.

Bought at around 80p in March, still holding at ~300p

5 Likes

Well done. That must be elsewhere presumably on the AIM (?) as Iā€™ve never heard of them. Been burnt on the AIM before! Donā€™t think FT has any of the AIM index on here?

1 Like

Games Workshop has ridiculous margins for what is still a traditional retail business. They make a lot of money on digital licenses/royalties, including off video games, but donā€™t underestimate their sway: their mindshare is basically unparalleled with no real competitors and it means they can charge (some would say) predatory prices. Near 500% rally in the stock since 2016 :eyes:.

Anyway, my stock of the month would also have to be $DIS, which I bought very late in March for pretty much identical reasons to @Jeff. Currently at +31% but obviously most see it as having much more upside with the Fox synergies yet to have been realised.

Buying the dip on Ā£BOO has also been fruitful this month (+36% atm), was going to dump it as it neared its all-time high but might hold for a little longer (feeling obligated as a Manc haha).

4 Likes

Youā€™re right its AIM and not on Freetrade yetšŸ˜•

2 Likes

So which way are you going to gamble? Take the money and run now locking in your profit, or wait and see if this ā€œpromising dataā€ turns in to a viable treatment (even more profit), or fails (potentially dropping the market price back down to less than 80p)?